Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

341 - 360 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
No. To address the geometry means moving the suspension outwards. That'd be relocating mounts and whatnot.

That's usually something only two special breeds do: experienced welders and off roaders.
Question. Do you think swapping the springs for the Kelderman bags would make it more stable in tow than springs with helper bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Question. Do you think swapping the springs for the Kelderman bags would make it more stable in tow than springs with helper bags?

Don't know. No experience with straight bagged systems.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Smartest sticker ever.
Hey, it even knows your VIN, which the web site doesn't. May not be the smartest sticker ever, but it does know the truth about a few things.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
This is the 5th wheel we are looking at. Not sure if any of that pin weight shifts to the rear when garage is loaded. Either way I’m prolly still looking at mid 3,000’s in pin weight. I keep reading that the 3/4 tons are under rated intentionally from the factory but I’d be over by about 1500 pounds. That’s why i was looking for people who have actual experience towing this kind of setup with their 2500’s.

Law and Order.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lots of hours researching lands this model at the top of my list. 16’ garage triple axle. I weighed my truck at the scales the other day and this toy haulers unloaded pin weight puts me right at my rear axles capacity. So, my thinking is if i load my side by side toward the rear it should should lighten my pin weight giving me the slightest amount of cushion.

Also, being a triple axle I’m assuming it will be more stable in the crosswinds.

I would suggest checking these trailers that are sitting on LOTS and seeing what their CCC sticker info shows.

The literature for my 5th wheel shows a pin weight of 2300 lbs. When I started checking dealers lots I saw that the stickers placed actual hitch weight closer to 2400-2450 lbs. When I weighed my camper, with no water or toys, but setup for camping (propane, tools, chairs, linens, dual batteries, etc), it was actually closer to 2900 lbs. If you're 2700 dry, I would definitely say you are over 3000lbs ready to camp.

In fact, here is a 2020 2020 Kz Venom V-Series V3916TK For Sale in West Point, VA - RV Trader

Hitch is listed 2940.

Once loaded up, I would think that hitch would be closer to 3300 lbs.

So part of what I discovered (might be common knowledge) is that a lot of dual axle toy haulers use 7000 pound axles but their GVWR far exceed 14,000 pounds so they seem to have heavier pin weights so they can transfer the difference between their axles 14k and their trailers GVWR to the trucks rear axle.

Seems certain manufacturers like KZ using triple 7k axles (21k total) on trailers with GVWR in the upper teens design a more balanced trailer with lighter pin weights.

Or, it could just be coincidence.

I went with a dual axle, 36.5' toy hauler due to limitations on storage. GVWR is 16,800. It comes with 7K lb axles. In my research it appears that in the last 10 years DOT has allowed trailer companies to reduce axle capacity due to the fact that some of that weight will be carried on the hitch. I am currently looking into upgrading my axles to 8K lb units since I am sitting right below 14K lbs on the trailer axles with just my 900 lb cycle and 80 gallons of fresh water. I am right around 16K lb trailer weight, and I don't see how I can carry more weight in the garage without overloading the axles, yet I would still be under GVWR.

He better store a lot to compensate for 600lbs of fresh water.
My fresh water tanks are actually over & behind the rear axles. Filling my tanks reduces pin weight and loads the trailers axles. Grey & blacks are forward of the axles.

Good to know. So basically air bags, proper tires/wheels and I’m towing like a 3500.

What’s all the hubbub about RAWR then? Bag it and send it.

That trailer is dually territory. It's length alone is reason enough.

·
Registered
2011 2500 SLT Crew Cab Short Bed
11 Posts
This video must be talking in general and not about the D250 test truck at 1:57 about 4300 lbs payload, and 16,000 lbs (probably GCWR):

The D250 and D350 both top out at 10,100 on this list:

·
Registered
361 Posts
This video must be talking in general and not about the D250 test truck at 1:57 about 4300 lbs payload, and 16,000 lbs (probably GCWR):

The D250 and D350 both top out at 10,100 on this list:

1989 D250 CTD Whole Truck $18K
2020 6.7L HO engine only option $12K

SMH.

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I'm making a hell of a lot more now than I was in 1989.
It's called inflation.

Watch how fast it jumps when these yahoos implement $15/hour minimum wage.

And then the people who currently supervise the minimum wage workers then want their salaries to increase lock step because they're not going to supervise the minimum wage workers for the same salary or just a couple dollars more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
1989 D250 CTD Whole Truck $18K
2020 6.7L HO engine only option $12K

SMH.
18k in 1989 is around 37k today dollar to dollar. Additionally, even the base model trucks today are better equipped than the trucks from 1989. HD trucks, and trucks overall are def more and more a status symbol than a working truck, but there were some fancy models back in 1989 too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, we all are...but you pay more for goods now vs 1989.
No ****. My point was that comparing truck prices from 30+ years ago is irrelevant when you’re not taking in the whole situation.
It's called inflation.

Watch how fast it jumps when these yahoos implement $15/hour minimum wage.

And then the people who currently supervise the minimum wage workers then want their salaries to increase lock step because they're not going to supervise the minimum wage workers for the same salary or just a couple dollars more.

Yep, I went to school too.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I wasn't implying that you didn't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
from what I remember the 10K has to do with regulations that is why they all cap at 10k. Yes you can get the option of 11xxx but you might want to check your insurance rates it might put you into commercial insurance/private use which is costly.
I run all commercial insurance anyway so I do not worry about the up charge.
I have an 05 3500 Ram SRW and bought an 08 3500 Ram 3500 DRW just to pull my camper . My insurance company cancelled me because of the extra towing capability. Even though I dont plan on using it conmercially they refused to keep me covered. New company charged over 250 more per year for same coverage just because of its GVWR.
from what I remember the 10K has to do with regulations that is why they all cap at 10k. Yes you can get the option of 11xxx but you might want to check your insurance rates it might put you into commercial insurance/private use which is costly.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
I'd hate to know what my 14,000 GVWR C&C would cost then.
Oh wait, I do know. It's $52 per month. I can live with that.

Reactions: Zinga
341 - 360 of 401 Posts