Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 2500 with right at 300k. My passenger side battery cap popped off about a month ago and sprayed battery acid underneath my hood. I could smell it when i pulled in the driveway. Batteries were only a couple years old. So I let it cool down, cleaned engine compartment, cleaned all the terminals and connections on both batteries,topped off with distilled water and put the cap back on. Ran great for a couple weeks and then it popped again. No corrosion build up on driver side battery, but positive terminal on passenger battery (the one that popped) was covered in corrosion again. Replaced both batteries with brand new interstates Monday. Cleaned all terminals again before installing. Ran wonderful for a couple days and then the passenger side battery popped already, and is already starting to show corrosion on positive terminal. Is there a good way to test that cable to see if that is the culprit or am I missing something? Alternator is only about 6 months old as well. I replaced the terminals with military style fusion solder terminals about a yr ago, so I don’t think it’s the terminals, but at this point I’m ready to replace them again. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
981 Posts
With the truck running, check voltage at both batteries. There should be no more than .2v difference. If there’s more difference, you need to check cables to see which is the culprit. Most likely you need to replace the crossover cable. You can check resistance and also check for stiff spots in the cable. There should be nearly no resistance. But if you want an exact number, check google.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the truck running, check voltage at both batteries. There should be no more than .2v difference. If there’s more difference, you need to check cables to see which is the culprit. Most likely you need to replace the crossover cable. You can check resistance and also check for stiff spots in the cable. There should be nearly no resistance. But if you want an exact number, check google.
thanks for the response. I think i actually figured it out. I removed the battery and cleaned it up and began to investigate the positive terminal and saw an extremely corroded terminal mount coming from one of the positive wires down below the air filter. The terminal connector coming from the wire was nearly snapped off. So i cleaned it and put on a new mount. While i was under the hood, i looked at the crossover lug too and the connection seemed a little loose under the heat shrink so i pulled it off and resoldered a new lug to it. I fired it up and tested voltage. The drivers side was reading between 14.55-14.58 while the passenger side was reading about 14.63-14.65 so i think we are good. I’ll keep an eye on if the next few days. Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
thanks for the response. I think i actually figured it out. I removed the battery and cleaned it up and began to investigate the positive terminal and saw an extremely corroded terminal mount coming from one of the positive wires down below the air filter. The terminal connector coming from the wire was nearly snapped off. So i cleaned it and put on a new mount. While i was under the hood, i looked at the crossover lug too and the connection seemed a little loose under the heat shrink so i pulled it off and resoldered a new lug to it. I fired it up and tested voltage. The drivers side was reading between 14.55-14.58 while the passenger side was reading about 14.63-14.65 so i think we are good. I’ll keep an eye on if the next few days. Thanks a lot for the help.
Sounds like you got it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts