Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9l I6, 4x4 ST
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just put a Carli Commuter 2.0 on and replaced the axle shaft seals while the front end was dropped. Immediately after the test drive it was fine, drove it on I-5 about 10 minutes to my house and parked it and a good puddle of gear oil was under the passenger side. Dropped and replaced both seals again just for safe measure…. This is what happened again after replacing it for the second time…. Breather vent is clear, not over serviced. Any ideas what else it could be? Just weird how it’s the passenger side both times and with brand new seals… thanks guys. ** The oil stain to the right is from the first seal…. It leaked ALOT more than this time.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Hand Arm Eye Automotive tire Leg

·
2,630 Posts
What did you do to clean the axle tube out prior to reinstalling your axle shaft? A small bit of dirt is all it takes to damage a new seal?

Anytime i do something like take the carrier out i pressure wash both tubes and the entire inside of the housing. Then blast it with an air compressor with a bit of brake clean.

Another question, what did you use to reinstall the axle seals? Is there a wear groove on your axle shaft?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride. 1995 Ram 2500 4x4, 12 valve/auto
27 Posts

If your bushings are worn out or damaged, they'll cause the new seals to leak as well. Anyone running offroad much or high mileage would be better off to replace these any time the seals get replaced in my opinion. I chased the same leak on a Dana 44 due to worn out bushings.

·
08 Cummins
2,366 Posts

If your bushings are worn out or damaged, they'll cause the new seals to leak as well. Anyone running offroad much or high mileage would be better off to replace these any time the seals get replaced in my opinion. I chased the same leak on a Dana 44 due to worn out bushings.
Both of those are for a 2nd Gen Dana 60 not a 3rd Gen AAM 925.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Nah . totally different.

OP should follow/check what krs/H3LZSN1P3R posted

Post pictures of disassembled axle, oil leak pictures really dont help.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9l I6, 4x4 ST
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I’m busy this week but this weekend I should be able to tear into it and I’ll post up the pictures of it disassembled then! Thanks guys I’ll be back for more help in a few days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts