Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night my truck wouldn't start. Tried to jump it but couldn't get enough juice to get it started, just crank it. My girlfriends grandpa came over and found the battry connections were corroded enough it wasn't getting enough juice form the battery. Start problem is now fixed, but another problem arose.

My gauge cluster is only semi operational and the truck is in limp mode. The only gauge that works is the tach. The odometer flashes the mileage and my abs, brake, seatbelt, and low fuel light are on. CEL is not on. I ran the cluster diagnostic and came back with 920, 921, 999 error codes. So I know the PCM is the culprit, where do I start trouble shooting it form here? Fuses are all fine, all connections are fine now, and all wires look to be hooked up. Could this be caused by a pcm grounding error? MoparMans site says to check the PCM software level and reflash if necessary. Is this something I can do at home? I've started with all the simple stuff and haven't been able to fix it yet.

Heres the link for the cluster test.
http://mopar.cumminsforum.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/cluster/cluster.htm

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I've checked the dash, it's 100% operational and not the faulty component.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump... Problem still persisting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump.
Still just sitting in the driveway.

·
Banned
432 Posts
Disconnect the batteries. Leave them disconnected while you check the cables and connections, and also all the ground connections. Reconnect the batteries and check for problems. If the same problems persist, then move on to the PCM. I would imagine you could check it at home for proper grounding, but checking the software level and reflashing it would be beyond the average home mechanic.......
You must be careful when jump-starting computer-controlled vehicles.....power surges are common and can cause strange electrical problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already checked all grounds for the PCM and batteries. Problem is still persisting...

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
did you try to check for codes?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Under the hood on the drivers side check the fuse box to see if the power supply is tightly bolted Its the big red wire that supplys 12v I think its like a 13 mm wrench.:confused013:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you try to check for codes?
I'll be checking for codes when I get it down to my buddies place with a reader. I have the cluster diagnostic codes and there is no CEL so far.
Under the hood on the drivers side check the fuse box to see if the power supply is tightly bolted Its the big red wire that supplys 12v I think its like a 13 mm wrench.:confused013:
Done that one as well...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody have any other suggestions? I'd prefer to not just start throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the problem...

·
Registered
66 Posts
same problem as you

Did you ever get your truck fixed. I am having almost same problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you ever get your truck fixed. I am having almost same problems.
Replaced the PCM with a used unit. Fixed all my problems but created two more. I now don't have overdrive or cruise control:banghead:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got the same problem!

:banghead:im having the same problem with my 98.5 2500. i have no gauges except tach, it won't shift into overdrive and the cruise don't work. pleasde let me know if you figure it out! thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts