Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I push my emergency brake pedal down it doesn't stay engaged- I've tracked it down I think to a little circular spring that pulls down on the pawl. It's not providing enough tension. I cannot find it anywhere on the net and am wondering if anybody knows what it's called or can put me onto a diagram or something. Or any kind of odd but effective fix- I'm big on those. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Please post your vehicle info. I can copy and paste a fix, but it might not apply.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Parking Brake Pedal Removal (suggested tips):

1> Under the driver's side of your truck is the parking brake cable adjuster. Loosen it completely and get all the slack you can for the front cable.
> It helps to use plenty of penetrating oil on the threaded shaft.
> If you can, use a dremel-type rotary tool with a wire wheel brush on it to clean the threads as much as possible first.
> You will need a pair of vicegrips and a 13mm wrench. The threaded shaft is too long for a normal deepwell socket, so a ratcheting boxend wrench really helps!
> Use the vicegrips to hold the adjuster yoke from turning.
> Use antisieze when you reassemble. You will be adjusting your parking brake here when finished.

2> Remove the parking brake pedal assembly.
> You will need a 13mm socket (preferably a flex socket) and some various extensions. A really long one helps.
> Make a note or take a photo of how the wiring bundles around the parking brake pedal assembly are routed. You want them the same way later.
>There are two nuts on the firewall and a bolt in the kickpanel. The top nut is hard to get to and I removed my knee panel from the dash to help.
>There is also a tiny clip that holds the release handle cable to the pedal frame. Remove it and the release cable ball end. Remove the brake light wire.
>The parking brake cable housing itself is held in the hole in the pedal frame with spring-type fingers. Squeeze those fingers down and remove the cable housing. (Get the pedal assembly unbolted and down on the floor first, where you can work on it.)
>Remove the lead-ball end of the cable from the parking brake mechanism. Leave the cable in the truck.
> As an alternative, you can leave the cable with the pedal assembly if you think it will be easier. But you will need to completely disconnect the adjuster end and pull your carpet back to get to the screw holding the cable to the floor where it passes through.
> Play with the stock assembly enough to understand how it works. Push the pedal down and operate the release. Watch how the center section operates and how the pedal "freewheels" independently. Note how little tension is placed on the ratchet holding/release mechanism. It is an ineffective and ridiculously overcomplicated design and you're going to change those things.

Actual Modification:

Look at the photos, particularly the one showing both the stock assembly (on the right) and the modified assembly (on the left).

Focus on the center section and spring and compare them to each other.

The stock configuration has the big spring winding clockwise out from the center.

It is anchored on the inside to a bent metal tab.

The modified version has the spring flipped over and winding the opposite direction.

It is anchored on the inside to the new "anchor" bolt you are going to install in the center plate.

Both have the outer end hooked on the same stock pin, only in different directions.

(and those few simple changes are the entire modification in a nutshell!)

The other photos give some different angles and closeups. The extra empty hole drilled in the center plate of the modified assembly was just an experimental hole as I was figuring out how much tension to put on the spring. Ignore that empty hole. More is better.

Step by step:

> Remove the spring by hand. It has low tension and comes off easily.

> In the close-up photo, note where I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the top center plate. Do the same now. It does not need to go through the bottom plate nor does it need to be in exactly the same spot, but try to get it close.

> Cut a 1/4 inch bolt to length so it just reaches through the hole to the bottom plate, as seen in the close-up photo.

> Put it through your hole nice and straight and spotweld the head to hold it in place.

> Put the spring back on flipped over so it winds the opposite direction (counterclockwise from center) from stock and so the hooked inner end hooks over the bolt you just installed. Hook the outer end over the same pin it was on originally.

> The original bent-tab inner anchor, seen in the photos, does not seem to get in the way, but you can flatten it down if you want to.

> Play with the pedal assembly a few times; pushing the pedal down and then releasing it.

Note the changes in the function of the center section and pedal. It will now stay down when set and snap back when released. Also note how the tension of the spring now provides a firmer positive engagement of the ratchet holding/release mechanism. Much better!
(That's it. You're done with the modification! Now you can just reinstall.)

Reinstall and Adjust:

1> Reverse the removal procedure to reinstall the parking brake pedal assembly. Be careful of wiring that runs through your kickpanel to the door and any other wires in close proximity.

2> The final step is to adjust your cable slack under the truck. I like mine so the pedal goes 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down when fully set hard. Make sure the brakes release fully, too. If you run out of adjuster threads, you probably need to adjust your brake shoes using the star wheel inside the drum. Or you may need new shoes and/or drums. That is a different job and is just a straighforward normal brake job.

3> Your parking brake pedal will now stay "set" in whatever position you put it in until you release it.

The spring will put tension on the ratchet assembly to help hold the engagement; something important it did not do before.

The pedal will pop back to the top only when released, and will do so visually and firmly.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Here are the photos

Reactions: Jayro

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
.......looks like a weekend job.
I'm sure it is. I have been saving the instructions for years, in case my PB quit. Please check back in with your impression of difficulty and the overall results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice Mod... i have been fighting my parking brake cables and have never liked the fact the pedal returns after you set it... i will be sure to try this on my 95! Thanks for posting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts