Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the title says it all. time for a new paintjob. im painting the truck myself. is there anything major i will need to do. anyone know the exact process i should do? what works for you? etc

· Registered
217 Posts
just as long as you take your time on body work, that is what makes the paint job. Also make sure you are spraying in the cleanest place possible,if you dont have a booth, i would put it in your garage and spray the floor with water to keep the dust down. if u need any help just pm me, good luck

· Registered
3,891 Posts
well you can make a booth for real cheap. just use some 1x 3's and some viskwing (i think that's how you spell it)and just use your imagination.

i do it all the time. when ever i go down on my race bike, i build a booth using the above material. it works great. ill try and get a picture of this setup.

i built a booth that was 10x10x8 for less than $50buck. but then again i took the viskwing from work. and i think that's what's gonna cost you $

oh yeah, prep'n the body for paint is the most important proccess of the painting project.

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what goes into the prep for the painting? like after i finish sanding and body work. what are the steps for painting? how many coats? whats the best stuff to use? etc. i need anything you can give me haha

· Registered
2,747 Posts
last i knew the prcoess was one coat of white primer, 2 coats of paint and one coat of clear for a stock shine..you can add fleck and extra clear coats to meet your taste but only to a certain point

..the quality and brand of paint are all dependent on what you want to spend and how you want it to turn out..your best bet would be to go talk to a body shop and they can give you some advice for materials

· Registered
3,891 Posts
:thumbsupwell when i paint my body work on race bike. i like to do the body with bondo/filler. make sure to get the air bubbles out of bondo b4 you apply. i like to also use a filler primer and use at least two coats. WEt sand the primer when ready. wet sand it until you get the glass feel. then when cured go to paint procces. if you get drips or orange peel look that can be fixed with wet sanding. when that is cured start the clear coat process. then wet sand that when cured, the finish with buff and shine.

wet sanding is a process too. so start with like a 1000 grit then 12oo grit then 1500grit.:thumbsup

· Registered
36 Posts
I bought a "roller paint kit" @ home depot last week,,$12 bucks.:$: came with three rollers, two standard size,one narrow, a brush and a paint can opener! It says will leave a satin type finish. we shall see:beer

· Registered
553 Posts
If your repainting the same color, you don't need to prime the hole truck, wipe it down with wax and silicone remover, wet sand the truck with 500 grit wet paper, clean everything with wax and silicone remover again. if you need to do any body work, than you'll need to epoxy prime.

· Registered
643 Posts
i would like to paint it silver. how much more work is it to change the color? it red/maroon right now. if its to much work/cost im fine with leaving it stock color. do i need more paint to cover if i choose silver? iv also got to fix 6-8 rust spots.

· Premium Member
439 Posts
I'm also wondering on this..I know you can adjust the spray on the gun, what's the best amount of paint/air mixture? Or is it just something to mess with til you get it right and it doesn't run?

· Registered
121 Posts
if you are going to so silver instead of hte maroon let me reccomend PSB. It is a very bright silver and is also pretty forgiving for the novice painter. Youll need to prime the whole truck if youre going to change the color to silver. you can use a catalyst primer which you can find at your local oreilly auto parts part# 483-19, or you can use a spray can filler primer FP101 also found at oreillys. If you go with the catalyst primer, I reccomend using another spray gun with a larger fluid nozzle. What kind of gun are you going to spray paint with??

· Registered
121 Posts
the paint mixture depends on several things. Type of gun, volume of air available, type of paint, and weather conditions all apply. If youre not an experienced painter, and youre using an HVLP gun, start at around 40psi with the gun volume fully open and see how it works for you. If youre just trying to flash a color you dont need a lot of volume, but it is one of those things you need to try and experiment with.

· Registered
643 Posts
i am not the one actually doing the painting, my friend will be doing it. he has painted before, but hes no no expert at it (although he know more than me about painting). about how much does the catalyst primer cost and how come you have to put on another coat of primer? :popcorn:

· Registered
121 Posts
the catalyst primer is around $60 for a gallon of primer and a quart of activator. the spray can filler is around $5 a can but it dries faster and sands very well. the reason you have to use primer to change to silver is that any red is very hard to cover, with any color but black. When you have a base of primer, it takes less color to cover it. The color silver actually has no pigment in it whatsoever so its harder to cover another color.

· Registered
197 Posts
Everytime I see the title of this thread I can't help but think: "Why are you painting yourself?" and then... "Why would I help you do that?"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.