Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked, but havent seen a solid answer. I am interested in painting my 5" MBRP exhaust black, and the chrome 6" tip also. I am wondering what is the best products to use, and if anyone has experience with this? I have heard of guys using self etching primer on the chrome, but should it be sanded down first? Information on this, and pics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
One of the rattle can paint companies makes a product call "High Heat", which was designed for painting cast iron wood stoves. I'd think that would hold up to the exhaust heat. In Texas, not much else to worry about.

I think scuffing the chrome with a scuff pad and a coat of self-etching primer would work as good as you can get.

Chrome or not, I suspect whatever part is exposed to debris from the rear wheel is going to chip. Just keep a can of paint handy for touch up..

·
Second Most Important Member
1,760 Posts
I have painted my exhaust with the high heat paint and it will peel a little. it is hard to keep clean if you mud your truck at all. if mine does start to look bad I just touch it up. as far as the tip i left mine stainless. no paint.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies fellas, and I figured I would have to keep the tip touched up. Once I get home, I am gonna give it a try, and see how it comes out!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
powder coat

I powder coated my 2007 gxsr 1000 two brothers single chrome exhaust to a gloss black. It was bead blasted and powder coated, the bike temperature gets really hot and the powder coat does not peel or discolor.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about pulling the exhaust off, and having it sent out to be powdercoated, or ceramic coated. I was just trying to find a cheaper way to do the exhaust, without having to go through the trouble of having it sent out. By the way, Kyle, I really like the bagged heavy duty. I used to have a few bagged trucks myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I painted the chrome pipes and mufflers on my motorcycle with High Temp rattle can paint. No primer, just paint , but make sure you scuff the chrome up well to give a good tooth for the paint. Mine is a year old and still looks good, and is easy to retouch.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response scrinch, and I plan on scuffing the chrome tip really well, and giving the exhaust pipes a good sanding!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
went to TSC (tractor supply company) and bought some stove/grill paint its flat black and held up pertty good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if there is a warren-cat dealer down there
they have a hi-temp xhaust paint that i use on my imca modified headers it works really great but like tork-stik said if you get any mud on them it bakes the mud on

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses guys, and hopefully I can come up with a solution to the problem of anything baking on them. If not, I guess I am gonna have my work cut out for me, trying to keep the exhaust clean!!

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan on getting the high temp primer for the pipe, and etching primer for the chrome tip. Keep the comments coming guys.

·
Registered
830 Posts
were did you find your hi temp paint and primer?
got mine from napa. dupli-color self etching primer and krylon bbq and stove paint. the krylon is the best looking finished product. trust me, i went thru some others first and they don't look right.

·
Registered
661 Posts
is the dupli-color self etching primer for hi heat? did you put the primer on the entire exhaust?

·
Registered
830 Posts
no, the primer says nothing about being rated for high heat. 3 weeks so far and not a scratch, scuff, or peel mark on the tip i did.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments guys. I ordered the VHT high heat paint, and primer. I dont have any self etching primer yet, but will pick some up when I get home. I also need to get some sand paper, to sand down the pipes, and chrome tip!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts