Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Paint feels rough

1779 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Redlinear
The place I bought my truck didn't try to hide the fact that there had been a ding in the drivers side fender and a mark that looked like "keying" down the side, so they fixed the dent and painted one whole side of the truck. It looks perfect.

I waxed it for the first time though, and there are four spots (the largest about the size of 1 gallon paint lid, most the size of a baby food jar lid) that feel a bit rough. Not real coarse, but not as smooth as the rest. No difference in look, just as shiny as the rest.

Any idea how to fix this? Wax didn't help (not that I though it would).

It's an '06 2500.

Thanks.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· SuperDuperMod
2,408 Posts
try a clay bar first, might be some overspray or other contaminent on the paint, a clay bar will smooth it right out if thats the case, if not, it might be coming from underneath like broke said.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a pic, but it looks perfect. After feeling it, I even tried shining a flashlight on it to see inconsistency in the gloss, but it all looks the same.

· Registered
103 Posts
i'd try the claybar first.the wet sanding could work.but hell,the more i think about it you shouldn't have to lift a finger.take it back and have them make it right.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'd try the claybar first.the wet sanding could work.but hell,the more i think about it you shouldn't have to lift a finger.take it back and have them make it right.

I would, but I didn't buy it local. I'm sure they'd fix it, but it would most likely cost me more in fuel than for the repair.

· Registered
8 Posts
i dont think the clay bar wibe much help that is for overspary and such, but overspray would more than likely be visible so i would just go with the wet sanding with 2000 no coarser than that and just sand and feel it should cut fairly quick.:thumbsup:

· SuperDuperMod
2,408 Posts
i dont think the clay bar wibe much help that is for overspary and such, but overspray would more than likely be visible so i would just go with the wet sanding with 2000 no coarser than that and just sand and feel it should cut fairly quick.:thumbsup:
Thats what clay bars are for, when they first showed up on the market they were actually called overspray clay. much easier on you and your vehicles paint job than sanding and buffing.

· Registered
156 Posts
first of all how long was it from the time it was painted to the time you waxed it? if it is less than 15 days you might have solvent pop. solvent pop is then you block the solvents in the paint that is trying to escape and it winds up putting little pin holes in the clear coat. i know this because i work in a body shop and i see it alot. most of the time it happens in little areas like you described. so i would try and wet sanding it with 2000 and if you can find 3000 i would go over it with that then buff it out. but you need to wipe down the waxed ares with glass cleaner so you dont push the wax in to the sanded clear and so you dont clog up your sand paper.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
first of all how long was it from the time it was painted to the time you waxed it? if it is less than 15 days you might have solvent pop. solvent pop is then you block the solvents in the paint that is trying to escape and it winds up putting little pin holes in the clear coat. i know this because i work in a body shop and i see it alot. most of the time it happens in little areas like you described. so i would try and wet sanding it with 2000 and if you can find 3000 i would go over it with that then buff it out. but you need to wipe down the waxed ares with glass cleaner so you dont push the wax in to the sanded clear and so you dont clog up your sand paper.
It was over three weeks before I waxed it the first time, and I noticed the spots while waxing it, so they were there prior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.