Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am planning on pulling the bed/cab on my '95 this spring to do updates to the truck. Any suggestions on a quality coating/paint to use on the frame to keep it rust free and looking good?

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is this stuff that they use on metal docks. Its like a waxy substance that remains somewhat plyable so its self healing when scratched. Im getting it done to my truck this week. It takes a while to dry so if you plan on doing any work under the truck, do it before spraying. When it does "dry" it is a black finish. I cant remember the name of the stuff but its supposed to be a really good product.

·
Registered
541 Posts
POR-15 worked awesome for me. I used it on my ford knuckle-out conversion parts and they still look like new since July 2013. I even accidentally not being nice to it when I was putting the ball joint in the knuckle, it held up fine. I even read that some people said its nearly impossible to wirewheel this paint off, basically sander/grinder will have to be used if it have to be removed.

Also, yes it's very expensive when compared to other (let say, inferior) paints but a small amount of this will cover large surface area! A pint probably will be enough to coat an entire axle assembly.

Reactions: timesublime

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
POR-15 worked awesome for me. I used it on my ford knuckle-out conversion parts and they still look like new since July 2013. I even accidentally not being nice to it when I was putting the ball joint in the knuckle, it held up fine. I even read that some people said its nearly impossible to wirewheel this paint off, basically sander/grinder will have to be used if it have to be removed.

Also, yes it's very expensive when compared to other (let say, inferior) paints but a small amount of this will cover large surface area! A pint probably will be enough to coat an entire axle assembly.
How much prep does it require?

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The frame is metal just like the cab is. You can use the highest quality car paint you can find on it as well as the top. If you have rust and are not going to sandblast the frame clean POR-15 has good reviews. The only problem is it needs something on top as it is not UV resistant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts