Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these pumps ever need a " tune up"? I have 160k miles on my truck with a few mods and my fuel mileage is dropping it went from 20 to about 16 mpg. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I've heard of million mile pumps that have never been touched.
160k is nothing.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
2,010 Posts
When did the mileage drop? Suddenly or over time?
The pump shouldn't need service, as long as you keep a good filter on it. ULSD fuel lowers mileage, as does winter fuel. Add a little 2 stroke oil or another diesel additive (Lucas, PowerService, FPPF, Howes, etc.) and you might consider having the timing checked.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does tuning your P7100 effect your gas mileage? If so how much? How could I combat that?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Does tuning your P7100 effect your gas mileage? If so how much? How could I combat that?
sure it does,depending on how much ya crank it up and how hard ya drive it. If you crank up the fuel the way to control it is to not mash the skinny pedal so hard. (I know, it's tough not to) If you drive it like ya might break the throttle pedal if ya push too hard you will see the mileage come back up. If ya want hi boost, some smoke and lots of power.......it takes fuel.
if its been tuned for awhile and just started then you have another problem. mine dropped way down and i soon after lost a injector, new sticks brought the mileage back up. (bigger sticks too) winter fuel is terrible.kills fuel mileage. ULSD aint much better.......but guess we better get used to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts