Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was turning my afc down (relooosen star wheel, loosen "smoke screw" because the previous owner had it turned up for smoke. Well I found another knob type thing on the from of the housing and was wondering if it too could be "tuned" or adjusted. I'm having trouble uploading a pic. I'll keep trying

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I can't upload a dang pic but it's the bolt head on the front with a triangular plate around it. What's it do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That us used to adjust the AFC foot travel. Its best to leave it as is or the foot could bind or not have full travel. I keep mine in the stock location.

·
The 10th Man
3,599 Posts
If the adjustment you are refering to is the one in the picture below, it sets the AFC foot height.

Because the 4k GSK's lower the overall height of the governor arm, if you have 4k GSK's install you'll want to adjust it like in the picture.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the thing! But my entire pump is bone stock. But the fuel plate is slid foward and the afc housing is slid foward and the pre boost screw is turned in a bit and the star wheel is cranked a bit. So I don't need to touch that bolt unless I'm upgraded parts?

·
The 10th Man
3,599 Posts
For the most part yes, that is correct. By lowering the AFC arm it will prevent the governor arm from sliding underneath it, if you go to low it can effect starting. So if it runs well you can leave it alone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10/4 I will leave that thing alone! Lol. Thanks for the help. Still having trouble tuning the truck. Trying to turn everything down but now it seems to smoke more!!!

·
The 10th Man
3,599 Posts
To detune it, the star wheel should be moved to the rear, the pre-boost should be loosened, and fuel plate slid towards the rear.

Basically, the further to the rear the adjustments are, the less fuel is injected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.