Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I unplugged my EGR 2 tanks ago.. truck seems to be running ok (still feel like it's low on power and gets terrible milage.. 13 mpg hand calculated hauling 1 or 2 sleds on the highway)

Anyway .. decided to clean my map and maf sensors .. my map was so bad I couldn't tell where soot ended and sensor started .. a can of non chrolinated brake cleaner and a twist tie and half an hour later I had a shiny sensor..

Driving the next day, cruising on the highway and the dinger dings.. look up the code and its 2609.

I did some research and it seems the ECM should only check for this at startup.. why would there be voltage to my grid heater while I'm driving ?

Anyway .. can these events be related ? or is this just a coincidence?

A little history on my other codes .. been living with a 2580 for about a month now.. got a 2579 (turbine sensor fault).. dealer swapped the sensor under warranty, then 2580 popped up.. they swapped it again, then proceeded to tell me I need a new ECM because mine is fried .. I tried to be polite and walked out.

Going to call up a different dealer .. obviously i'll plug in the EGR and put my stock airbox back (last dealer tried to void my warranty over my airraid)..

any input or wisdom is appreciated.

truck has started fine the last couple of times.. so I know my grid heater is working (its about 0* F here)

edit, I did put in my airraid box back in at the same time .. are they of the sensor wires near the air intake I might have knocked off ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pesky 2609 is back after about a month .. anyone else have this code ?

I've since had a new ECU put in and 2508/2509 is gone. Truck stars up fine, though it's not really cold here anymore

still have cummins warranty, so will take it in.. but wanted to get some opinions before the dealer tries to feed me their regular BS

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
I believe the engine uses that temp probe that mounts into the plenum cover to assess the quality/temp of air in the intake plenum. Since you've been running your EGR this whole time, or most of it any way, I'd be willing to be that probe is dirty and not sensing temp rises as it should.

Remove that probe from the plenum cover clean it off really good with a wire brush and brake clean and see if it comes back. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shibby

Can you point out where exactly that temp sensor is?

Is it after or before the MAP sensor?

I'm going to try and clean up all the sensors / grid heater when I finally pull the EGR off .. 100,000 miles of EGR sure doesn't do your engine any favors...

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts

On the bottom setup there, there is a cream colored 2 pin connector between #3 and #4. That is the temp probe that assesses the temp of the charge air after the grid heater.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
right on .. that makes sense !

thanks again

ps. for others that might run into this, I found a good thread on diesel bombers

pps.. really? cumminsforum doesn't let me cross post a thread from another forum ? lol .. jealous issues ??? anyway, you can fill in the blanks if you want to get there...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
try editing that link :nowork:
yeah .. if you click on that link you will see that cumminsforum has cleverly removed the domain name from the URL .. they won't let me actually post it. :spank:

just fill in d13selb0mbers in the URL and you will get there !

it won't even let me type the words !! lordy lordy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts