Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm having problem with my truck and not sure where to start. I drove the truck on Monday the truck was fine then I go to start it up Tuesday morning and the batteries were ticking as if they were dead. So later that day I put them on a charger and the charger said they were fine so I tried to fire it up and the batteries still acted as if they were dead so I was jumping for a few more minutes and still nothing so I started messing with all of the electrical and They terminals were loose and I tightened them up and the truck fired right up. Now Wednesday I get ready to leave for work it fires right up and it barely moves when I put it into drive it'll move but very slowly I had the pedal to the floor and the most it would push is 1700 rpm and 20 mph. It starts up fine but just doesn't move. Truck gauge is reading 14-15 volts. I put new terminals on and cleared the code with a scanner and still the same problem so I'm lost at what to do. Really don't want to spend $400 in batteries and it still does the same thing but willing to start somewhere. TIA

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
if you jumped truck with too much amperage could of damaged ECM , check power to ecm c2 connector pins 20,30,40 for battery power.
Ojter then that
P2509 is batteries, load test them?
or wires to ECM voltage drop test cables?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you jumped truck with too much amperage could of damaged ECM , check power to ecm c2 connector pins 20,30,40 for battery power.
Ojter then that
P2509 is batteries, load test them?
or wires to ECM voltage drop test cables?
Thats maybe right I'm not sure Ive probably had to jump the truck a few times since I've had it I've always had to use another dodge which puts out 14 volts if I'm not mistaken or I might have tapped out the ecm when I tried it multiple times I put new batteries today an still the same problem so ecm is the next step.

·
Trying to learn
5,849 Posts
I have a Battery charger that has a Start setting which is like 125Amps and I have used it a total of 5 times on my 03 without causing issues. 3 of those times were over 5 years ago and 2 times a couple of months ago when the batteries needed to be replaced for the 2nd time.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Try measure voltages at the different battery cable connections, B+ readings should be .1-.3 volts difference from direct battery reading, if not suspect cable/ground/connection issue.
B+ for ECM has a Fusible link and splice in circuit from side of PDC bolted connection lug to ECM can cause issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts