Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I got this code I shut the truck off and when I tried to start it again the fuel pump relay was clicking on and off. The truck wouldn't start on its own. I ether started it and drove it home.

The next few days it wouldn't start without ether. Reading about the p2509 code I put new ends on all the battery cables and it was good for a while.

Then while I was driving it would shut off briefly but with a manual transmission my momentum would restart it. Also my edge insight would shut off and not turn back on.

It got worse to where it wouldn't restart on momentum so I say on the side of the road and cleaned all the grounds. This helped for a couple days.

I read that some people have fixed this code by replacing the batteries. I have optima yellow top batteries that came with the truck. I looked on the batteries and one is a year nod and the other is two. I can't see them being bad that young but I don't have a tester and can't get the truck to run long enough to get to town and have them tested. So I disconnected the cables an measured the voltage the driver battery had 12.5 and the passenger had 13 so I swapped them to see if it would help but it didn't. I measured the voltage while cranking the engine and it never dropped below 11.

Any ideas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also found and fixed a bare wire by the ac compressor but the fuse was already blown and it didn't get any better after I insulated them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the batteries check by Interstate battery (i didn't want to just go to the parts store so I took them to a battery dealer). They tested good. I guess I'm still searching for the cause

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to clean all of your battery terminals and all of the wire terminals that connect to them. You also need to check for corrosion on your ground wires. There should be a big ground wire going to the engine block on both batteries, make sure they are clean. Use a wire brush and some 100grit sandpaper to get it clean. There is also a smaller ground wire that runs from the negative terminal to a bolt on the fender. Both sides have this, clean them. Also the ground wire lead that runs to the harness that runs to the ECM, make sure that terminal has a strong connection to the battery. That is probably most key, but cover all the bases.

Then there is a positive lead that runs to the fuse box, make sure both ends of that wire is clean, tight and free of corrosion. Everything has to be **** and span. Replace any wires that are corroded and cannot be cleaned 100%. Sometimes this generally means the positive crossover cable that runs between both batteries on the positive side.

Once you've got all that fixed, clear the code with a reliable reader.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.