Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my failed oem egr cooler with an aftermarket Bostech cooler. For those not familiar, they basiacally gut the old one and replace it with a tubular style cooler. Truck is running great, just popped this code for egr cooler performance after about 200 miles. Bostech said it is because their style cooler is more durable, but not quite as efficient at cooling the exhaust. Any ideas on extinguishing the CEL? Bostech said to place a resistor in line with the sensor. I am not sure which sensor, or even if I want to do this.

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
The temp sensor is a thermistor (resistance changes with temperature) by placing a resistor inline, it is fooling the on-board computer to believe the EGR gas is cooler than it actually is.

No harm electronically can be done to the ECM by placing a resistor inline, so long as the wiring job prevents a dead short. (Even then, most good modern electronics are designed to survive a dead short)

*edit* I need help remembering from others. Doesn't resistance go up as temp goes up? In that case, place a resistor across the leads to lower the resistance in the circuit to make ECM read a lower temp?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, resistance goes up with temperature. Do you know where the sensor is?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Yes, resistance goes up with temperature. Do you know where the sensor is?
isn't the temperature sensor in the intake horn under the map sensor?

·
Registered
682 Posts
im having this problem p2457

1 - 5 of 5 Posts