Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess this is what I get for saying my truck has been trouble free. lol. I had my cel go on a few weeks ago, then turned off. It came back on about a week ago for a day & was back off the following day. Then the next day I was accelerating heavily & just before the truck shifted I would here a loud noise like a blow off valve & the truck would surge. I was thinking that what I heard was the turbo backspooling because of the truck defueling. About 30 miles later the cel came on again. I got it into the dealership yesterday morning & the dealer said the code was a p2262 which means "mechanical turbo". They said they dont know what it is & asked if i wanted to do the latest flash which is AQ. AG was the original flash. On a couple other threads on here it states that the dealer is replacing the turbo with this code. Does anyone know how serious this is & also is anyone familiar with the AQ flash. The dealer said this will solve the problem & it does not derate the engine & it should also help my fuel economy, which I find hard to believe. Thanks in advance for any input!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
the AQ flash. The dealer said this will solve the problem & it does not derate the engine & it should also help my fuel economy, which I find hard to believe. Thanks in advance for any input!!
they may as well be calling it the fountain of youth! Sounds like most 6.7s dream flash, according to them

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was thinking. Anyone else got any ideas what might have thrown the code?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
The flash will help. The problem is a build up of soot on the turbo. They will also clean the turbo, or should.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. If the code comes back I will tell them to clean the turbo. Appreciate it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was just in a few days ago. They haven't hear of the new AQ flash, but they also aren't changing turbos. They said they would rather spend 20 bucks on the cleaning kit instead of the 2200 for a new turbo. Gonna call them in a few days and give them the TSB number and see if they have it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
:thumbsup I agree. Cleaned two turbos this week, seems to work "OK"

How long does this "clened the turbos" patch job suppose to last? IS this going to need to be done every month, three months, six months?? Had mine done last week. Now I do not drive it every day, it is primarially my trailer hauler and the kids are living in the trailer right now.

·
5,055 Posts
It depends, some dont even get the dealer out of sight. Others make it 20k miles. Its a crap shoot.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just cant wait until i can get my dpf delete & egr block off. Im just hoping my turbo is ok. Kind of a little worried since I got that code, but it seems to be running ok now & no cel. (knock on wood.) Why do the treehuggers have to ruin everthing? :lol3:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I just cant wait until i can get my dpf delete & egr block off. Im just hoping my turbo is ok. Kind of a little worried since I got that code, but it seems to be running ok now & no cel. (knock on wood.) Why do the treehuggers have to ruin everthing? :lol3:
Getting all this crap off very soon myself. JUst got my turbo replaced last month. The 6.7 tech told me if i wanted to keep my truck past the warranty period and get a good lifespan out of to remove the dpf but told me to leave the egr and change the oil more often.

·
5,055 Posts
IMO, the EGR is far worse then the DPF. The dpf may cause you to use more fuel but the egr puts all the crap back in the engine.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
IMO, the EGR is far worse then the DPF. The dpf may cause you to use more fuel but the egr puts all the crap back in the engine.
Yeah i know chief. Its probably the root of all evil on these trucks.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
So I am just a Caterpillar dealer field mechanic, and I might not be the sharpest pencil in the box, although I think I am smarter than the average bear. I do have the Dodge and Cummins service manuals. After reading about P2262, I agree that there is a problem with the sliding nozzle. That being said, how is the soot from the exhaust side of the turbo getting to the compressor side of the turbo where the sliding nozzle lives. You are not going to tell me from the EGR since it is added to the intake after the aftercooler and before entering the intake.:lol3::T::rof:hyper::butt::popcorn::beer

·
Registered
3 Posts
P2262 Code

Well add me to the list of those with a P2262 Code. It first came on at 8100 and the dealer flashed the ECM and cleared the code. On the ticket they said to replace the turbo if the code returned. Well, at 8300 miles it did. I guess I'll call the dealer on monday to schedule the turbo swap.

I don't want to void my warranty (I travel, so a "good" tech/maint sup is not a guarantee). Is there anything I can do that will help, but not void my warranty? B/f the first code, I rarely used the EB. B/f the second code I used it religiously; so I don't think the EB on/off has any effect on the code/problem (they cleaned the EGR and Turbo on the last code).

·
5,055 Posts
So I am just a Caterpillar dealer field mechanic, and I might not be the sharpest pencil in the box, although I think I am smarter than the average bear. I do have the Dodge and Cummins service manuals. After reading about P2262, I agree that there is a problem with the sliding nozzle. That being said, how is the soot from the exhaust side of the turbo getting to the compressor side of the turbo where the sliding nozzle lives. You are not going to tell me from the EGR since it is added to the intake after the aftercooler and before entering the intake.:lol3::T::rof:hyper::butt::popcorn::beer
The sliding nozzle is on the Exhaust side. Thats why it also works as an E-brake.:thumbsup You should always be clean on the Intake side.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
I stand corrected on the nozzle.. I wonder how much of this problem is because of not using ULSD fuel...:CRY::CRY::CRY:

·
5,055 Posts
the delete does not cause you to use more fuel. The Factory DPF on there does because of the regen process of injecting fuel into the exhaust stroke in order to help create the heat needed to burn the build up of soot out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wonder how much of this problem is because of not using ULSD fuel...:CRY::CRY::CRY:
I don't think much at all. I'd bet only a very few are not running ULSD.

It's the EGR. Putting unfiltered diesel exhaust back through an engine has to be the most idiotic idea to come along in a long time. You'd think Cummins/Dodge would have learned from the 6.0 Powerstroke fiasco.

I know when I had mine there were no shortages of threads over there about how to clean or replace the EGR valves because they soot up so much.

My question is, if you're going to recirculate exhaust gasses, why not take the gasses after the DPF? Yeah, they're hot, but they're clean...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts