Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light came on while driving, truck seemed to be fine, all of the sudden a few miles later truck lost all power, started running real rough and will barely idle. I scanned it and got P2146 ( Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open), and P2149 (Fuel injector group 2 supply voltage circuit/open) Cleared the codes and took negative battery cables off for a while and it started and idled fine for a few minutes until i drove and then light came back on and has the same symptoms as before. From what i understand sounds like a bad injector(s) or bad injector wire harness. Any advice/experiences with this problem are greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
Check engine light came on while driving, truck seemed to be fine, all of the sudden a few miles later truck lost all power, started running real rough and will barely idle. I scanned it and got P2146 ( Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open), and P2149 (Fuel injector group 2 supply voltage circuit/open) Cleared the codes and took negative battery cables off for a while and it started and idled fine for a few minutes until i drove and then light came back on and has the same symptoms as before. From what i understand sounds like a bad injector(s) or bad injector wire harness. Any advice/experiences with this problem are greatly appreciated, thanks
To get both those codes, it seems not an injector, but like your saying an electrical wire harness or wire plug issue. The chances of 2 injectors on different groups suddenly failing and throwing both codes simultaneously is slim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To get both those codes, it seems not an injector, but like your saying an electrical wire harness or wire plug issue. The chances of 2 injectors on different groups suddenly failing and throwing both codes simultaneously is slim.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly my thinking. Especially because it’ll idle and run fine one minute and then start having these problems. I just cleared the codes and unhooked the batteries again for a while. I hooked them back up and the truck started and idled fine, and no light. I left it idling for about 30 mins and then took it around the block, it drove great for about 1/4 mile and then the light came on, and shortly after it started having the same exact problems as before. I dont understand how it can idle and drive fine one minute and then the light comes on and it starts having those problems again. To get it home i basically had to put the pedal to the floor and the power would cut in and out

·
Registered
957 Posts
Is it the truck in your signature? If it is a 05 or 06, the valve cover gasket has the injector wires molded into it and they will sometimes rub through to ground and need to be replaced. If that's not it one of your injector solenoids has failed and is grounding out and that injector needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
If it is a 05 or 06, the valve cover gasket has the injector wires molded into it and they will sometimes rub through to ground and need to be replaced.
06+ trucks have the harness integrated to the VC gasket, and, yes it is a typical source of problems along with the connectors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does sound like you have a short in the wire harness for the fuel injectors that's part of the valve cover gasket. I've seen similar problems involving that gasket/harness combo before. You can omh out the wires to each injector and that might tell you if you have a short. I'm talking about the end with the male plug on it. The valve cover on that engine, like all 24 valve Cummins is super easy to take off. You could then visually inspect all the wires in the gasket and see if you have any bare spots or arc spots on the metal where the wires touch it. This would also give you the chance to check the crystals on the injectors. How many miles do you currently have? Anything over 150k and I'd look at knocking the injectors out while you're in there of they haven't been done yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
06+ trucks have the harness integrated to the VC gasket, and, yes it is a typical source of problems along with the connectors.
It does sound like you have a short in the wire harness for the fuel injectors that's part of the valve cover gasket. I've seen similar problems involving that gasket/harness combo before. You can omh out the wires to each injector and that might tell you if you have a short. I'm talking about the end with the male plug on it. The valve cover on that engine, like all 24 valve Cummins is super easy to take off. You could then visually inspect all the wires in the gasket and see if you have any bare spots or arc spots on the metal where the wires touch it. This would also give you the chance to check the crystals on the injectors. How many miles do you currently have? Anything over 150k and I'd look at knocking the injectors out while you're in there of they haven't been done yet.
Yes its the 06, I’ve been reading up alot on the VC wireharness combo and that’s definitely a good place to start it sounds very likely it could be something involving that. I will definitely take the VC off today and inspect all the wires and while i have the valve cover off I’ll ohm check the injectors and wires, I’m at 133k so it’s worth it to check them. The one thing that i did forget to mention is that this started happening shortly after driving through a flooded area, I’m not sure if some water could of splashed up into something, I also know the ecm is mounted kind of low on the drivers side of the block so I am hoping it is just a coincidence and not the ecm or main wire harness. Im definitely missing my 12valve right about now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its the 06, I’ve been reading up alot on the VC wireharness combo and that’s definitely a good place to start it sounds very likely it could be something involving that. I will definitely take the VC off today and inspect all the wires and while i have the valve cover off I’ll ohm check the injectors and wires, I’m at 133k so it’s worth it to check them. The one thing that i did forget to mention is that this started happening shortly after driving through a flooded area, I’m not sure if some water could of splashed up into something, I also know the ecm is mounted kind of low on the drivers side of the block so I am hoping it is just a coincidence and not the ecm or main wire harness. Im definitely missing my 12valve right about now[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
500 Posts
New Cummins valve cover gasket for 06+ was about $150 from Cummins and right at $140 from Geno's garage. Part number 5367847 (IIRC).

Small money and apparently easy install for a gasket that was upgraded to correct the sort of defects we are experiencing. I pulled codes P0201 and P2146 last Sunday so I spent some time looking into it.

It's on my to do list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New Cummins valve cover gasket for 06+ was about $150 from Cummins and right at $140 from Geno's garage. Part number 5367847 (IIRC).

Small money and apparently easy install for a gasket that was upgraded to correct the sort of defects we are experiencing. I pulled codes P0201 and P2146 last Sunday so I spent some time looking into it.

It's on my to do list.
Awesome thank you for the part number, if its looking damaged i will probably just go ahead and replace the VC gasket anyway. Let me know what you find out with yours. I’m really hoping to get this diagnosed today so i can order whatever parts it needs. Just curious what is the P0201 code?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cylinder #1.

i disconnected and reconnected connectors and jiggled wires from gasket connection to ecm....I believe I had a wire rubbing on the brace for the under intake horn secondary fuel filter. Will schedule shop time to follow this and do some other work that's due.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: Pulled the VC,visually everything looked good and I tested all of the injectors and individual wires. All injectors were exactly .5ohms and wires were at .2 ohms, from what I understand thats what they are supposed to be at am I right? So im assuming that means issue is in main wire harness or ecm?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well not really, because the problem only happens when the engine is running and warm. Things change when they get hot. I'll bet it's the valve cover gasket, as there have been known issues with them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
UPDATE: Pulled the VC,visually everything looked good and I tested all of the injectors and individual wires. All injectors were exactly .5ohms and wires were at .2 ohms, from what I understand thats what they are supposed to be at am I right? So im assuming that means issue is in main wire harness or ecm?
Seems your injectors are fine by themselves. So then just the wiring going to the injectors maybe intermittently open inside the wire plugs?
Or a broken wire inside the insulation wire sheath.
Could be bad plug end terminal connectors not making a good connection somewhere.

good practical video on fixing p2146

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems your injectors are fine by themselves. So then just the wiring going to the injectors maybe intermittently open inside the wire plugs?
Or a broken wire inside the insulation wire sheath.
Could be bad plug end terminal connectors not making a good connection somewhere.

good practical video on fixing p2146
Thanks for the reply ill definetly have to inspect all of that alittle further.

UPDATE
Truck started running good and i was able to drive around, then I went out of state and the truck sat for a week and when i got back today and went to start it, the truck had a real hard time starting and when it finally did it idled horribly and blew a ridiculous amount of white and grey smoke. CEL came on and i got a P0606 “ECM hardware error” and only the P2146 this time. At this point I’m pretty stumped. I want to say maybe a bad ECM or wiring but all that white smoke and sputtering hard idle makes me think more on the injector side

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on this thread with the same issues, the ECM ended up being fried. I replaced the ECM, all the issues went away and its running good now

·
Registered
390 Posts
UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on this thread with the same issues, the ECM ended up being fried. I replaced the ECM, all the issues went away and its running good now
Good you got it fixed. When you changed the ECM, did it need to be flashed for the vin number, I think its not just plug and play?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good you got it fixed. When you changed the ECM, did it need to be flashed for the vin number, I think its not just plug and play?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I know it’s about time truck was down for almost a month. I sent my ECM out to be tested and when it tested bad that company has ECMs that they are able to flash for my VIN, mileage and manual transmission. As far as my understanding goes they are not plug and play but you can always get them reflashed if you find a used one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts