Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ram 2500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2001 ram 2500 with a 5.9 cummins. Been plagued for months with the same electrical issue and now I’m completely dead in the water. First time I got the P1689 code was about 6 months ago. I regrounded the engine block ground, changed battery terminals and then the truck fired up. Ran fine for about 3 months then the truck did it again, jiggled MAP sensor wires and then it fired up, ran fine for another 2 months. About a month ago I was driving it and the truck just died on the road, could never get it started after that. Pulling codes P0215, P0232, P0230, P0236, and P1689. I’ve checked all the fuses and relays and they all work perfectly fine. I did a hot wire test on the vp44 and the truck fired right up, but if I try and run it without the Hotwire it just cranks and cranks. No voltage coming to the 7 pin on the vp44 plug. Spliced in a ground on the 85 pin on the fuel system relay to the battery. Had the computer tested back when the problem originally occurred and they said it was 100% fine. Changed the camshaft position sensor and MAP sensor. Also swapped wiring harnesses without any luck. Can anyone please tell me what’s going on here? I appreciate any help! Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Here are what the DTCs mean. I will post again with some troubleshooting thoughts.

P0215: Fuel Injection Pump Control Circuit
P0230: Transfer pump Circuit Out Of Range
P0232: Fuel Shut-Off Voltage Too High
P0236: MAP Sensor Too High Too Long
P1689: No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module

·
Registered
2001 ram 2500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are what the DTCs mean. I will post again with some troubleshooting thoughts.

P0215: Fuel Injection Pump Control Circuit
P0230: Transfer pump Circuit Out Of Range
P0232: Fuel Shut-Off Voltage Too High
P0236: MAP Sensor Too High Too Long
P1689: No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module
Thanks, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
Have you checked the harness plugs between the VP and ECM. Check each pin for corrosion. Also does the Wait to start light come on every time with the key to ON?
Check and clean all terminals again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts