Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my voltage meter went to Zero and check gages light came on. I pulled over onto the side of the road shut truck off then restarted it and it was fine. Then later on that day I blew out a signal light. I wonder I my alternator is trying to tell me something. Any trouble shooting suggestions? or should I just get a new alternator? thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Start by cleaning all battery terminals and grounds. You may have one bad battery also. The batteries must be checked separately. Also check alternator terminals and pull alternator and have it bench tested.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
Take the alternator off and have it bench tested.

Take both batteries charge them fully and have then properly load tested.

Then test you main supply cable...
Voltage Drop

Check your Alternator fuse under the PDC cover.

Reactions: garyoja

·
Registered
220 Posts
My truck did the same thing last night this thread very helpful thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck does something similar. My truck will charge at 14 - 14.5 on the gauge for days or even weeks, with no problems. Occassionally it will show 10 on the gauge and draw the batteries down to nothing. In addition to that sometimes it will draw the batteries down to nothing at night while parked. I checked the batteries, replaced the alternator with a new Dodge part, all stock 2007 Dodge Cummins 2500. Any ideas besides a faulty ground maybe?

·
Registered
255 Posts
my truck is doing this same thing.
it first started about 5 months ago. the volt meter dropped and the check gauges light came on wile driving (it was very cold outside). i shut it off, and it was fine again after i started it back up. it did it again about 2 months later again, cold outside), same thing. now it has been doing it to me every time i start the truck for the last few days(its been warm out). it starts fine, then i drive about a block and the volt meter drops.
then tonight it finally just had dead batteries. im charging them both over night (i would guess there about 3-5 years old), it has a NEW alternator as of last year, my fuse looks fine, and the battery cables are good. ????? hopefully just bad batteries?
when my voltage drops to zero on the gauge, the truck still drives and performs as it should and my edge attitude says my ECM volts are between 12-13v. does this rule out a bad alternator? to me it seems like the batteries are just not taking the charge. ??
help please.
(edit)... i just thought about the grid heater. for the last 2 weeks or so i haven't had to drive my truck more than a mile or 2 at a time, but during any given day ill make 5-7 small 1-2 mile trips. perhaps these constant short trips are just too short for the grid heater to shut off and give the batteries time to recover from the heavy draw?? makes perfect sense to me.... what do you think?

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ help... anyone? before i go and start throwing money at this thing????

·
Registered
255 Posts
^ changed my alternator today and it seems to be ok now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts