Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P1223

7552 15
P1223?! Any ideas? Grid heater light comes on at highway speeds only, chimes 10 times, then goes out. Repeats this every 5-10 mins but ONLY while on the highway and NOT city light to light driving.

Any ideas now? :banghead:
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same exact problem. I just purchased mine used from a dodge dealer. It also had a stage II Predator chip install that was throwing a fuel pressure code. I made them remove it to make sure there wasn't an actually fuel deliver problem and I also didn't want the Check Engine light on all the time! When they removed the chip, they had to flash the pcm. When i was driving the truck home, the Wait to start light comes on at highway speeds only. I took it back to the dealership and they told me it was grid heater relay. The relay was replaced and didn't fix the problem. I check the DTC and it was P1223, now they are telling me its the fuel injectors. And it was take 3 weeks for them to get tested.

Did you get yours fixed?

·
Registered
61 Posts
u sure its P1223, I have check 3 different sources for that code and and it doesn`t list it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup, for sure P1223. I plugged in an attitude CTS to pull the code. The dealership looked up the code and it was something to do with fuel delivery or fuel pressure (to bad I can't remember what exactly she said it was). My truck is still under warranty so its probably best to let them deal with it for now. Based on what I've read from other threads, it sounds like my injectors will come back fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did 3 injectors, then a week later they did 2 more and a week later they had to fix a fuel leak. All 6 have now been replaced within 114,000 kms. The grid heater light - they have no clue what caused it to come on, and they still don't. However after doing the injectors It hasn't come on.
I'm still running the chip stacked with a tuner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope that fixes my problems as well! It gives me more confidence that the dealership service department does know what they are doing. Too bad it took so long to replace all injectors. Seems like it would be easier and maybe ever cheaper if they replace the injectors to begin with. Did they have your truck the whole time they were replacing the injectors?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They did one injector in the summer of 2010, then they did 2 injectors July 15th of 2011. Then the last 3 went on me on the 16th and I got the truck back 2 days later. 3 different occasions, 3 trips to the dealer and lo and behold - 6 new injectors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, just the last two incidents

·
Registered
4 Posts
P1223?! Any ideas? Grid heater light comes on at highway speeds only, chimes 10 times, then goes out. Repeats this every 5-10 mins but ONLY while on the highway and NOT city light to light driving.

Any ideas now? :banghead:
After getting the dodge dealer to reprogram my ECU this past Friday I now have the same issue. P1223 and wait to start light when driving after truck warms up, when the wts light is on the truck is down on power(limp mode), the light normally goes out after a couple miles. I currently have injectors and a PRV on order to install later this week.

-David

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a call from the service depart, they told me at some point water got in to the fuel tank and caused algae growth. When the fuel level was on empty, it sucked up some the algae through the fuel pump, the filter, and the injectors. They cleaned the tank, replace pump, filter and all injectors. I'm still waiting for them to confirm the light doesn't come on during a test drive before I drive back to the dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So a got my truck back from the dealership a few weeks ago. No more WTS light problems and no more code but it sounds like there is extra ticking noise when there is a load on the engine. I seems like I have less power and worse fuel mileage now (10.7mpg hand calc)! No diesel in the oil that I've noticed.

Fed up the with dealer I took it to Alligator. They could definitely hear the 'ticking' noise I noticed as well but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. They thought maybe it was coming from the pump and it was possibly off on timing. I figured this is all done electronically not sure how it couldn't be timed correctly. I know this issue warrants a different thread but thought I'd let you guys know how my initial problem has turned out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No I took mine back to the dealer to take advance of the 5 months of warranty I have left. A friend of mine had some problems only when towing, not sure of he had wtsl but his ended up being a bad injector pump.

Check out the links from stealhead01's post. In the threads that I've read seems like different things fixed their problems (programmer sw updates, prv, fca...)

You can always call alligator and they'll try to help you out or if you're local take it in and they'll take a quick look if you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.