Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I have a total poop storm happening with this truck.

Just got it back up and running about 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago I put a CSP5 tune on it from a very reputable tuner who I will not mention as I don't think the issue is on their end. First drive on the new tune it starts throwing a P1223 code when on a steady uphill grade with steady throttle. Never had the code before, but my old flash was old enough to have not had that code in it.

Some background info that has me second guessing every option:
- CP3 exploded upon startup with the new FASS while in the rebuilding phase (the old AD2 rusted out while sitting that long). Replaced with a new OEM CP3 unit for reliability. So it could be CP3 related.

- This truck has had multiple box tuners on it back in the day and never got a factory reflash. Smarty, Bully Dog, DS Predator. All set on kill. Then on to EFIlive without first getting a factory reflash.

- I have a parking brake light and ABS light staying on. Could be corrosion or wear. Shop said it's driver front ABS sensor according to the scanner, but I can't find a code popping up for it using EFIlive.

- I also have a SKIM code that I didn't have before though and the security light flashed on first startup after new tune. Turned truck off and back on and the light stopped flashing, although the SKIM code is still there when I scan with EFIlive and comes back immediately when erased.

- Oh and these are already replacement injectors. From a place that was reputable back in like 2010 when I got them. No idea now as I've been out of the game a while. But they only have at most 30k miles on them. They could've been bad all along or just out of spec I guess, since this code is new to my ecm and I'm not "making oil".

I realize this P1223 code is almost always injectors. But with so much going on at once being replaced and retuned I'm not sure where to start. New flash from dealer I guess? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,586 Posts
First question is always injectors. If the CP-3 exploded a good bet FOD got all the way into them before the big bang.

Reactions: AdamRRT

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn’t thought of that fact. Grrr. Thanks buddy.
BBI still THE go-to?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well this is unexpected. Drove it to work this morning on the stock tune setting and did not get the alarm. Going to see if it does the same thing on the way home. Could be due to increased rail pressures on the other tunes somehow?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevermind. It’s doing it like crazy. Gonna block the rail to test PRV. Temporarily. Then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for the record the rail plug did not help. Since I don’t understand the problem very well, could this have anything to do with the new CP3? Or is it just flat out injectors?

·
Premium Member
15,586 Posts
More than likely it is the rail, lines, tubes, and injectors if the CP-3 exploded on you. Probably ingested metal.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More than likely it is the rail, lines, tubes, and injectors if the CP-3 exploded on you. Probably ingested metal.
Thanks man. Think I’m good to flush the lines and rail when I replace the injectors & tubes? I don’t know the extent of the CP3 devastation. Just that it blew the plugs out on startup at my buddy’s garage when I wasn’t there.

·
Premium Member
15,586 Posts
If it just blew the plugs you might be ok. When you pull the cross over tubes put down a white paper towel on a hard surface and smack them good and hard on the surface with the open end down and see what kind of crud comes out. If you have significant amounts of detritus coming out of the cross over tubes it is a good bet the rail and lines are fouled. You can never seem to get it all out of the rail and lines, best practices suggest you replace it all with a major CP-3 failure and presence of FOD.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I’ll check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts