Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Little update:

Oil sample came back perfect. No fuel, no excessive wear metal, the lab said it was great. Changed the FCA (to the person that severely stripped out the bolt that's incredibly hard to get to, I hope you're sorry for what you put me through) and the rail PRV. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the PRV being full of diesel was a sign that it's bad. Is that correct? Regardless, mine was full to the brim. Took it for a small test drive, and no light so far. Not sure it would come on after only 25 miles of driving anyway, but so far so good. Still mentally (and financially) preparing for injectors, but if I can wait a while on that it'd be nice.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Did you ever put the new PRV in?

It's a good idea to always be ready or saving to buy an expensive part like injectors.

·
Premium Member
15,236 Posts
Rail PRV should have diesel in it, its job is to release excess pressure in the system. The problems start when the wear on the seat etches it and it won't seal, diesel being released at +24k psi will eventually etch the metal parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rail PRV should have diesel in it, its job is to release excess pressure in the system. The problems start when the wear on the seat etches it and it won't seal, diesel being released at +24k psi will eventually etch the metal parts.
Well, that makes me think that my PRV MIGHT have been my issue. It appeared to be original, so if it was worn out that would allow excess fuel to flow through. Sound plausible?

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
Any updates on this? I’m looking at an ‘05 and it has P1222 showing...

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
Yes! I changed the FCA and the rail PRV and I haven't had any problems. I believe my PRV was bad but I changed the FCA just to be safe.
Awesome! Good deal for you! I’ll hope my situation is the same. Someone just drove away in my 2014 and left me like Scrooge McDuck rolling in a pile of money, so I’m committed to going back to a 3rd Gen now!

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
I changed out the PRV on Saturday, and had my buddy clear the CEL with his Snap On scanner. It also cleared the heater grid light staying on. So far, so good. I haven’t driven it too far as I replaced the entire suspension and steering systems over the weekend, and I haven’t had an alignment yet. It wanders so badly I’m surprised I didn’t get a DUI stop driving to his shop! (Alignment tomorrow). If it doesn’t pop the P1222 again within a week or so, I’ll call it a success.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I changed out the PRV on Saturday, and had my buddy clear the CEL with his Snap On scanner. It also cleared the heater grid light staying on. So far, so good. I haven’t driven it too far as I replaced the entire suspension and steering systems over the weekend, and I haven’t had an alignment yet. It wanders so badly I’m surprised I didn’t get a DUI stop driving to his shop! (Alignment tomorrow). If it doesn’t pop the P1222 again within a week or so, I’ll call it a success.
Glad to see it's (likely) fixed your problem. I had the P1222 and grid heater light, too, so it sounds like you're all fixed up, as well. Such a mysterious code/symptoms for it to be such a simple fix lol.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
Simple is good!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts