Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh!
Just did a fluid change I have always kept the maintenance up on this truck it has 212,000 miles on it 67rfe, went to California and back (Colorado) went to put it in reverse and it just acts like it is in neutral there’s no sound no banging I didn’t make anything shutter or anything.

Right before this I had a boost leak in one of my inner cooler boots so I had a friend get in and power break it up to 2000 RPM for less than five seconds because I found a bad boot right away.

Didn’t jerk, didn’t shake, didn’t stutter nothing.

I jumped in the truck to leave and no reverse All forward your work fine everything locks up just fine except reverse. I did a search on here but there’s not really any answers anybody have any updates of some simple diagnostics that I can look at before I plunk down money on a new transmission?

Also
looking at three different transmissions one is a power torque that is sold by O’Reilly‘s it has the best warranty the next one is an ATS that has a good warranty but it’s $3000 more and it comes with extras, and then there’s Randy’s transmission these places are all close to where I live I need to get this truck back on the road.

Anyone have experience with any of these three? The last one from Randy’s transmission is just as expensive as the ATS and does not come with a deep pan or other extras like the ATS does

thank you

Anyone have experience with any of these three? The last one from Randy’s transmission is just as expensive as the ATS and does not come with a deep pan or other extras like the ATS does

thank you

·
Registered
335 Posts
When mine went the cheapest rebuilt I found was from the dealer. Obviously it’s stock, but came with a 100k warranty. I’ve heard good things about Randy’s, and mixed things about ATS. I see your tuned and deleted, double check the fine print on warranty’s.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Automatic transmissions are not my area of expertise, but I know you'll want to stay away from ATS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Automatic transmissions are not my area of expertise, but I know you'll want to stay away from ATS.
I know guys that ran them in the old fords, 4r100’s, and had good results.. but these trucks and transmissions are a whole different animal.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you know that makes the statement to stay away from it?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Since I don't own an auto, I have no personal experience with ATS. I have also no specific evidence other than the forum posts I read where people have all sorts of issues with ATS. Here is just one link as an example: 2006 Dodge 2500 Trans. I'm sure others with first hand experience will chime in with more details.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
Just from all the reading I’ve done, sounds like Randy’s transmissions really knows how to build a 68rfe. Seems to be one of the highest recommended 68rfe builders. Revmax, Next Gen and red horse seem to be on the highly recommended list as well. I don’t think I’d personally buy a transmission from oreillys, being I’ve heard and read over and over that you really want someone who understands the ins and out of the 68rfe to build your transmission. I just installed a revmax billet vb, deep pan and thermal bypass in mine........when my trans is smoked for good I’ll be looking at one of the 4 I mentioned. In my opinion, I wouldn’t let a $300 pan stop you from getting a Randy’s.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What do you know that makes the statement to stay away from it?
There’s plenty of reasons and videos to be found of why ATS gets called “Another Transmission Soon”, stay away and stay away from places like O’Reillys, a cheap general auto parts store isn’t a place to buy very complex things like transmissions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just from all the reading I’ve done, sounds like Randy’s transmissions really knows how to build a 68rfe. Seems to be one of the highest recommended 68rfe builders. Revmax, Next Gen and red horse seem to be on the highly recommended list as well. I don’t think I’d personally buy a transmission from oreillys, being I’ve heard and read over and over that you really want someone who understands the ins and out of the 68rfe to build your transmission. I just installed a revmax billet vb, deep pan and thermal bypass in mine........when my trans is smoked for good I’ll be looking at one of the 4 I mentioned. In my opinion, I wouldn’t let a $300 pan stop you from getting a Randy’s.
I’ll look at them again I couldn’t even get Randy’s to answer the phone. I can’t find anything about the warranty either online that’s why I tried to call them, There wasn’t even a provision to leave a message so that’s a big turn off especially if I need service in the future.

The O’Reillys ones are built by power torque and they had the best warranty but they don’t even have any available that they’re building right now so that’s out.

ATS is close to me and the warranty was great. They even took the time on the phone to help me go through some diagnostics of my transmission and some possible fixes.

I’ll research the ones you mentioned also..

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
I’ll look at them again I couldn’t even get Randy’s to answer the phone. I can’t find anything about the warranty either online that’s why I tried to call them, There wasn’t even a provision to leave a message so that’s a big turn off especially if I need service in the future.

The O’Reillys ones are built by power torque and they had the best warranty but they don’t even have any available that they’re building right now so that’s out.

ATS is close to me and the warranty was great. They even took the time on the phone to help me go through some diagnostics of my transmission and some possible fixes.

I’ll research the ones you mentioned also..
also I was looking at Randy’s page and looks like their transmissions do come with a deep pan. Again, I don’t have any experience with any of them other than I very recently had to replace my valve body, so I went with the Revmax billet valve body, deep pan, thermal bypass and steel spin on filter adapter. Revmax answered my emails very promptly. The company’s I mentioned is just information I’ve gathered from reading forums, watching videos and listening to a couple podcasts. I have no clue if an ats would be a bad buy or not. Have you tried to get “transengineer” ‘s input on your transmission issue and codes? I read every post he interjected on I could find on my issue and it led me to changing my vb......which corrected my problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also I was looking at Randy’s page and looks like their transmissions do come with a deep pan. Again, I don’t have any experience with any of them other than I very recently had to replace my valve body, so I went with the Revmax billet valve body, deep pan, thermal bypass and steel spin on filter adapter. Revmax answered my emails very promptly. The company’s I mentioned is just information I’ve gathered from reading forums, watching videos and listening to a couple podcasts. I have no clue if an ats would be a bad buy or not. Have you tried to get “transengineer” ‘s input on your transmission issue and codes? I read every post he interjected on I could find on my issue and it led me to changing my vb......which corrected my problem.
Finally got ahold of them. Yes found out they do have a deep pan also, their advertising pics don’t show it is all.
2 year/unlimited mileage warranty. I have read also that the VB could be the culprit, but the fixes range from dirty fluid to a broken internal issue, piston blocked passage etc.

Truck has 212k miles and since it showed up right after I did a short power brake, I do think something inside let go even though there was no sound or shutters or anything.

So with that mileage and as many miles as I do per month as well as the load I haul, I probably would be ahead and just to get another one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just talked to a friend (parts manager) at the dealer & he confirmed its all hydraulic and no electrical components. Said they stock the VB because that’s usually what a cause is.
So trying to convince myself to drop $800 on a “possibility”.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
If you buy an aftermarket vb, then need a transmission shortly after and buy one, I think they’ll use the new vb and credit that towards the transmission ( if I ended up buying a revmax, they’ll reuse the billet vb and deep pan and take that off the price) If you bought a oem vb, then bought a built transmission......I’d rather have the upgraded vb, then keep the other as a spare or try to sell it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you buy an aftermarket vb, then need a transmission shortly after and buy one, I think they’ll use the new vb and credit that towards the transmission ( if I ended up buying a revmax, they’ll reuse the billet vb and deep pan and take that off the price) If you bought a oem vb, then bought a built transmission......I’d rather have the upgraded vb, then keep the other as a spare or try to sell it.
yeah I need to get this truck on the road. I have to get a load picked up tomorrow. Worst case I was just going to drive it and make sure I am stopped or parked where I can pull forward.

Dropped the pan and there was just a little black that wiped up with a rag. No metal chunks nothing smelled burnt.

Since I Just did a fluid change 2000 miles ago before I went to California so that was last week, maybe something dislodged when I power braked it looking for a boost leak.

maybe possibly something lodged in the valve body I don’t know I’m gonna try it though and see what happens if it doesn’t work then I’ll just drive it in the forward gears like I was planning on anyway.

I just do not have a lot of fluid money to play around with the wrong thing

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
This thread may have some good info for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread may have some good info for you.

thank you. Seemed like those peeps had issues they felt going into reverse. Seen the recommendation of vb in there too. Will find out shortly, changed out the vb & getting ready to put the pan back on.

nothing laying on top of it as in broken stuff. Filter nothing chunked up.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
Hope it works out for you. Keep in mind you need to do a “relearn” and drive easy for a couple hundred miles

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope it works out for you. Keep in mind you need to do a “relearn” and drive easy for a couple hundred miles
Didn’t work. Imma just sending it. Maybe it will burn down

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 ccsb
18 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hope ya get it figured out one way or another.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I am back looking at the ATS. They are 2k cheaper and use a new pump and bearings.

Randy’s just test and repairs pumps as needed as well as bushings and bearings are checked and resued…. Why would you not replace them in a $9k transmission?

Who knows what core junk one I would get.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts