Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else gotten this code?

(P0546-exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Was driving, with cruise set at 65, and engine purring along, when the CEL came on, and I found this code on my Edge monitor.

It cleared, quickly, when I restarted, and it hasn't come back on in the last 50 miles. Anybody know what causes this, for those of us with modded trucks, and whether it's anything to worry about??

Thanks!

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
It sounds like your #1 EGT fooler is getting hot or has a bad resistor in it. Can you monitor it with your Edge? Do so and you will probably see the temp change. I noticed the temps go up on my H&S foolers when it gets hot under the truck. I had to turn off the defuel functions because of it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you monitor it with your Edge?
Not sure what you mean, Tom.

I can monitor my EGTs, but not sure how I'd monitor the #1 H&S sensor under the truck??

My egts stay pretty low all the time, since I rarely "get on it," but they were around 600-650 when the "ding" went off and the CEL came on.

How would I know, for sure, if I had a bad sensor?

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
Can you switch the Edge to monitor the OEM pyros? MY PMT can watch either the add-ons or the OEMs. If you can monitor the OEMs then you have the ability to see the egt the fooler is setting in the ECM. It should be around 1200. If it goes really high it will give you that error. You may also wish to look under the truck. Maybe the fooler has been rubbing on the frame and shorting to the frame . Worth looking into.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom,

Thanks. I will have "Nick03," my buddy read this thread and see if he can apply what you're saying and source the problem. Nick and John did the H&S install (5" TBE exhaust), so they're probably familiar with where to look to find a "fooler" that's shorting, etc.

I've put about 10,000 miles on the truck, with the same H&S setup, and have never had an issue or a code, except for the codes you'd expect when deleting your EGR system.

If they're just simple resistors (the "foolers"), it's weird that one of them would all of a sudden go haywire, but I will ask Nick to check it out, and thanks again for your help.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
I have the H&S foolers on my truck. The ones with the black potted module on the end of a pigtail. I'm not impressed with them. I'll be changing them out. They have wires exposed that could chaf. That what I'm referring to. I took great care in tying mine up in a safe position to limit that stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts