Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P04DB since installing AFE intake

14716 22
I installed my intake about a month ago and have gotten the P04DB code about 8 times since the install. Luckily I have the EDGE JWA that I can clear the code with but what can I do to keep this from coming up. It's getting annoying at this point.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I get the same code with my afe. I have a BD and it only pops up when I'm running at level 3 or 4. I think the only way to stop it. Is by removing your intake. I just live with clearing the code once a week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious, I'm installing the intake on mine this weekend, but did you unplug the two sensors? i noticed in the instructions, they mentioned several times not to unplug the sensors, but instead unscrew the sensors while leaving them plugged in. Getting nervous about throwing a code now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't unplug any wires, just took screws out and then reinstalled on new intake.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I unplugged both of mine and never threw a code until I installed the BD and ran I hard at setting 3 or 4. 1 or 2 it has not thrown the code yet. These trucks are just super sensitive to any aftermarket parts. Before my BD I had a 20 dollar code reader from Amazon to clear any code that popped up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine threw it the other day after install the AFE intake. Took it the dealership and they said it was "crank case vent disconnected" code and the intake was the possible culprit. They also did an ECM update on my truck. If it throws it again...gone is the AFE.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I only got the code while towing my rv with my intake. I was on a trip and cleared it twice. The last time it threw it, I just left it. About 3-4 days after getting back from my trip, the engine went out on its own and hasn't returned. Haven't checked to see if the code is still present. Just know that I have no light on now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mine threw that code going over the mountains the first time and just erased it. It didn't come back on when I went back over to go home and hasn't came back on. I have the pro dry filter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Towed my fifth wheel from southeast Texas to Missouri and back with the AFE, no codes. Don

·
Registered
351 Posts
I installed the GDP CCV open air breather kit this morning, and this code popped up after no more than 40 miles. I cleared it with the bully dog, and hasn't came back yet after a short drive. It's weird that some trucks can run code free with this kit, and others can't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ended up installing mine anyway and have had almost 500 trouble free miles so far. The only thing i could figure is if the sensor maybe got damaged or if they were put back on the wrong way.

The one closest to the engine has an arrow that should point to the turbo. I almost installed it backwards because the wire didn't want to reach but after rerouting it, it was plenty long. Not sure if it mentions this arrow is mentioned in the instructions or not, but i could certainly see this throwing a code.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I could do hundreds of miles code free not towing. Tow for around 200 miles and there it was. Clear it, tow about 200 more and its back. Never cleared it the last time and the light went away on its own after a couple days of not towing the rv. Probably been 400 miles since with no light. Something definitely changes with towing. Maybe its not as touchy on some trucks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Finally threw this code after 3000 miles on my '14 2500 w/AFE intake. I was towing at the time and going up a mountain. Seems to be a common scenario from what I've been reading.. Cleared it and haven't seen it since.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Two CTD trucks and neither have ever thrown code with AFe. I have the stage 7 oiled filter. Sorry you are having issues. I really like the sound of the eb with these intakes.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have 25k miles on my '13 with the AFE intake installed. I have been code free so far. I am running the dry filter with no lid on the intake. I see some guys are having a problem on the tuned trucks, but mine is stock. Pulling heavy at through the mountains has not affected the truck in the least but.

However on my '11, it threw a code when I removed the intake turbo baffle. I guess some trucks are more sensitive than others.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The only thing i could figure is if the sensor maybe got damaged or if they were put back on the wrong way.

The one closest to the engine has an arrow that should point to the turbo. I almost installed it backwards because the wire didn't want to reach but after rerouting it, it was plenty long. Not sure if it mentions this arrow is mentioned in the instructions or not, but i could certainly see this throwing a code.
You bring up a valid point. I almost made this mistake because the larger sensor's pigtail seemed like it wanted to be installed with the cord facing the intake. If you look at the sensor, it is most definitely a directional sensor. A look at the instructions confirmed it had to be installed pigtail toward the turbo.

I could see this causing repetitive codes if installed incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.