Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm trying to get my 2012 3500 through CA emissions testing, and am having some trouble. This truck was deleted and tuned for about a year after the cat was stolen, but it otherwise a stock truck. The time has come to renew the registration and pass CA emissions testing, so a new cat was installed, the ECU flashed to stock and everything on the truck returned to factory. However, the truck won't complete all of the emissions readiness checks, specifically the exhaust related ones.

The truck does not have a check engine light, but my code reader does bring up a P0471 code. I followed googles advice and pulled the sensor, cleaned things up a bit and reinstalled. The pressure port between the stainless tube and sensor was wide open to begin with, but I went ahead and cleaned things to be sure. I didn't pull the feed tube off the manifold though, which may be my next step.

The thing is, the exhaust sensor works. I can read live data from it, and it makes sense. You can see fluctuations when I hit the throttle, elevated pressures when the exhaust brake is on etc.... So what should I do to clear the code? It appears everything is working, but when I clear the code, it comes back after a few trips. Also, is my assumption correct that this code is preventing the readiness monitors from completing? (NHMC Catalyst, NOx/SCR, Exhaust Gas Sensor and EGR/VVT)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Clear the code and drive around town and don’t exceed 55. We are allowed 2 monitors not to be set. It took my 11’ 3 days and about 60 miles to have all but 2 set, on the way to get it smogged, I was down to 1 and when I pulled in, all monitors set.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose except time and fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cleared the code after cleaning the sensor and housing, but the code returned after a few trips. We put over 1000 miles on the truck after flashing the ECU back to stock and it didn't complete those last 4 monitors in that time.

This morning I'm going to pull the tube to the sensor off and make sure there is exhaust flowing through it when the engine starts up. If there is, do I just replace the sensor at that point? Is there a way to test it? What value should it read with the key on, but engine off? I'm seeing .2 psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took everything apart today, including the feeder tube from the exhaust manifold. Everything is nice and clear, no obstructions were found. Once it was all back together, I cleared the codes and took a spin around the block, the code came back....

The code hasn't thrown a check engine light, but my code readers picks it up. This leads me to believe the problem is intermittent. What should my next step be, replace the exhaust pressure sensor, or start looking at the MAF and EGR Position sensors?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts