Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First-time poster.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I wasn't able to find a real answer doing a cursory search. For the past week, my CEL has been going on and off sporadically. At first, I could not tell anything was wrong with the truck. Then, the RPMs started revving up or dropping down to zero while running. The truck will give a hiccup and the check engine light comes on. The truck still drives, but I lose significant power (~50%). After a while, I get another hiccup and the air conditioner will stop flowing air into the cab. After a few more minutes, the RPMs kick back on and the AC works fine. This cycle repeats at an irregular rate. If I turn the truck off during one of the *bad* cycles and then try a restart, it will crank but won't turn over unless I give it some ignition. Took it to AutoZone today and the codes they got were p0341 and p1689. Guy behind the counter said a new Cam Sensor would fix the problem, hopefully. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any other thoughts? Any suggestions for a Dallas/DFW diesel mechanic that I could trust?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cam shaft position sensor is one yes and the 1689 is no ECM/VP44 communication (may be time for a new VP44).
OK, thanks.

How would I know if it's time for a new injection pump? Replace the cam sensor and see if the problem remains? Should most mechanics be capable of replacing a vp44, or do I need to find a diesel expert? What is a reasonable price for parts and labor on that kind of job?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hoping to have a plan of attack when I take it to the shop in a few days.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,374 Posts
You can replace your own VP44 if you have some mechanical ability and some basic tools. Check youtube for how to videos, there's apparently a lot of great info out there. Also, if you want best pricing on a VP44 talk to Jkidd on here (DieselAutoPower) and he'll set you up for sure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can replace your own VP44 if you have some mechanical ability and some basic tools. Check youtube for how to videos, there's apparently a lot of great info out there. Also, if you want best pricing on a VP44 talk to Jkidd on here (DieselAutoPower) and he'll set you up for sure.
I have limited mechanical ability and no tools. So I'm probably gonna pay someone else to do it, hopefully the right way. Any ideas what I can expect to pay (I read 3-4 hours at $50-75/hr on another site)?

Thanks again.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I can change out a VP in about 4 hrs... Here is my notes on this... The only thing you need is a gear puller for the VP44. The rest is basic hand tools...

VP44 Replacement

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I can change out a VP in about 4 hrs... Here is my notes on this... The only thing you need is a gear puller for the VP44. The rest is basic hand tools...

VP44 Replacement
Ah Ha! Everyone take their truck to Moparman's house to get your IP replaced!! :hehe:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do appreciate the words of encouragement, but this task is infinitely more difficult than anything I have attempted on my own truck before. Just as brain surgery might seem simple to those with the right training, it would be hazardous, to say the least, in the wrong hands :shock:. I would really like to find a trusted/respected diesel mechanic in the DFW area, if anyone knows of any. I'm still not certain that my VP44 needs replacing, but if and when it does, I'd like to know where to start.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Another thought after re-reading the orignal post...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thought after re-reading the orignal post...

YouTube - P1689 Error code found & Testing Cranking pressure
I wish I knew what that video was supposed to be telling me, but I don't. The cranking without turning over is similar to what happens occasionally. But I don't have pressure gauges or a module the gives me the pressures. Are you saying I should have someone test my cranking pressure if the Cam sensor replacement doesn't solve the problem? What was that fuse component that was being unplugged and replugged during the video?

Is there any chance that my Edge module is contributing to the problem? I've had it on for 6+ years without any appreciable issues, other than a lift pump failure 70K ago that could have been unrelated. Is there a known lifetime on them and if so, has mine run its course?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Sorry I was pressed for time... But the fuel pump relay will cause P1689 code too if the relay is bad but in ther same sense if the relay is bad the VP44 will not fire...

Reactions: mrspank

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I was pressed for time... But the fuel pump relay will cause P1689 code too if the relay is bad but in ther same sense if the relay is bad the VP44 will not fire...
OK. I'll keep that in mind when I've got it at the shop. Hopefully the sensor does the trick, but if not at least I'll have some ideas.

If anyone else has suggestions, thanks in advance.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,374 Posts
Sir, you should also consider an upgraded lift pump, not just OEM replacement. Too many dead VP44s (RIP) due to inadequit lift pumps. Read more on moparman's website. I think what Mike (moparman) was trying to say was replace the fuel pump relay and the cam position sensor at the same time and hopefully that 1689 code will be gone because of the new relay (the cam position sensor won't trip the VP44 code). If the code continues to persist after relay replacement (the 1689) and you've cleared the code, the VP44 could indeed be dying and on the way out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sir, you should also consider an upgraded lift pump, not just OEM replacement. Too many dead VP44s (RIP) due to inadequit lift pumps. Read more on moparman's website. I think what Mike (moparman) was trying to say was replace the fuel pump relay and the cam position sensor at the same time and hopefully that 1689 code will be gone because of the new relay (the cam position sensor won't trip the VP44 code). If the code continues to persist after relay replacement (the 1689) and you've cleared the code, the VP44 could indeed be dying and on the way out.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up a relay at AutoZone tomorrow and change it out when I have my cam sensor replaced. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm thinking about taking the truck to James Northum's place (JTT) in Midlothian. I've only heard good things about him, so hopefully he'll shoot me straight and give me some idea about what *needs* to be replaced. My pocketbook is already hurting. :S:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I took the truck in and had the camshaft sensor replaced yesterday, which turned out to be more difficult for the mechanic than I had anticipated. When he re-ran the diagnostics afterwards, all the error codes (there were 2 new codes when I took it to him) had been deleted. Then he tried to swap out the fuel pump relay I bought from AZ, but it didn't fit in place of the old relay (it should say "Fuel System Relay" on the underside of the cover, right?). Anyways, the CEL is no longer coming on, the truck seems to be running fine again after ~50 miles of driving, and I'm just hoping this solved the problem for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts. Now I'll have somewhere to start when it comes time to start replacing/upgrading some things. Next stop, BHAF.

·
Vendor
8,486 Posts
the code may come back after a few hundred miles so keep your fingers crossed. Its definitely worth it to swap relays on the fuel system as that can sometimes fix the p1689 code

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the code may come back after a few hundred miles so keep your fingers crossed. Its definitely worth it to swap relays on the fuel system as that can sometimes fix the p1689 code
I went to O'Reilly and picked up the correct part today. New fuel pump relay and new camshaft sensor installed. Hopefully things will go back to normal for a while. Thanks for all the great advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts