Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got back from a 400 mile trip from the Smoky mountains today pulling my 5th wheel. Truck ran great all day. Backed the 5er into the barn, shut the truck off, unhooked the 5er. Started he truck back up, put it in drive and it started shuddering. Put it back in park, and it was still rough. Turned it off and restarted; still running rough. Moved the truck to its side of the barn, shut it off and checked the codes (hadn't turned on check engine light yet) and found code P0305 pending. Started it again and the check engine light came on. I should say at no point during this did it start smoking. I also have zero blowby.

I ohmed the coils and each was 0.6 to 0.7 ohms. I did not disconnect the wires when I ohmed them; maybe that was a mistake.

Am I looking at new injectors? I have 124k on the orringinal ones. Do the ever stick closed?

Oh, I did get fuel about 50 miles earlier. It was at a BP station by th freeway. I drained my added Baldwin water separator and the fuel looks good.

Truck is parked for now.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm guessing from lack of smoke the injector must be stuck closed. So am I at any risk running it a bit to test some things? Might try some ATF too...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few more checks, rail psi from obd2 reader is jumping around all over the place at idle. Seeing 6800 to 10000. Fuel supply to cp3 is good 10+ psi. Pulling wire to FCA I get 26000 psi on the rail and a overpressure code. Engine ran even worse like that. Checked my injector coils at the plug to the valve cover gasket, still getting 0.6 ohms on all.

I'm pretty sure my #5 injector is stuck closed. Still no smoke. I would appreciate those more knowledgeable than I to comment.

Calling Firepunk in the morning for their opinion. Also debating injectors from them or DAP. Firepunk is right down the road from me, so it may be nice to get them from a local source. Plus, they have always been very helpful. Only concern is that I think they sell Exergy injectors and I don't see NEW stock injectors on their price sheet. I may be blind though. Then again BMS50 may be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
The misfire is an electrical problem on firing the coil. Could be an intermittent coil issues or the VC gasket is bad. Easiest thing to do is pull wires and ohm gasket and solenoid separately. If you have never replaced the VC gasket that would the part to take a chance on.

The BMS50 143 pattern are a production run injector, the 126's are not.

Reactions: BRBurns

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The misfire is an electrical problem on firing the coil. Could be an intermittent coil issues or the VC gasket is bad. Easiest thing to do is pull wires and ohm gasket and solenoid separately. If you have never replaced the VC gasket that would the part to take a chance on.

The BMS50 143 pattern are a production run injector, the 126's are not.
I did disconnect the wires from the gasket and ohmed through the coil from the gasket plug. I got 0.6 +/-0.1 ohms.
Do you think I really should be chasing electrical grimlins? I had basically convinced myself it is bad injectors.....

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
Any codes you get are purely electrical, there is no way for the ECU to see physical operation of the injector. You could have a bad solenoid that is intermittent but it will still show as misfire code. What ever is happening the solenoid is not shorting or you would get the code for the whole bank. Since they ohmed out could e the plug also, part of the problems with the VC gasket is they can not make good contact in the plug and you chase intermittent issues. As I said, if you haven't replaced the VC gasket that is the first thing I would do and check the injectors individually when disconnected.

How long have you been running the enhanced filtration? As a general rule they should go more than 124k with good fuel and filtration before you start seeing issues, but, there is an exception to every rule.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the truck with 94k. Added filtration shortly after.

The misfire is not intermittent, it is only running on 5 cylinders. Plug at gasket looked good, I know that doesn't mean that it is 100% good.
It did have other symptoms that could also point to injectors. Black smoked seemed to be increasing. I thought the smoke went away after the lift pump replacement, but it seemed to come back in the warmer weather. It also chugged badly downhill with cruise on, especially when towing. I understand that is attributable to injectors.

Please don't take me the wrong way. I very much respect your knowledge and opinion on this and will check price and availability of the gasket tomorrow. I'm just providing all the info I have.

Oh, and if I replace the injectors and the problem remains, I will have lots of explaining to do to my wife.

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
LOL, yeah you will. All that, could very well be injectors since you are not sure what was done before. Might want to try a cleaning and a heavy dose of additives if you haven't, and, check all the battery cables and connections. Electrical issues can take many forms and all it take sis one bad connection somewhere to throw enough static into the system to cause similar problems.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked several things yesterday and didn't find anything wrong. Dumped a quart of ATF in the fuel and let run for a bit to get it up to the injectors. Ran rough every time I started it yesterday. This morning it started rough, but cleared up immediately. Put it in drive and it's smooth now.

Talked to Firepunk yesterday and they said they can check the injector contribution rates, so I will do that. If they are questionable I will replace them. Need a reliable truck as I have plans on pulling the camper on at least 1 more long trip and several more short trips. I'd hate to see what it would cost to get the 5er home if the truck broke down on a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
Maybe just gummed up from not using additives in correct amounts or frequently enough. However, better plan on new injectors if you want some peace of mind. Once they stick like that it scores the internals of the injector and they are on a knife edge of failing again, usually at the most inopportune time. I would just bite the bullet and get a new set and plan on an aggressive additive regimen.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use a pint of 2so most fill ups. Not sure what caused this. going to be watching the tailpipe for smoke while driving for quite a while at a minimum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are in Phoenix have almost the exact problem on an 06 3500.We have just hit 145000 miles.Tech indicated injector failure 1.00 star scan. I have very little electrical knowledge.Going to replace injectors.Dodge oem replacement an insane price of 845.00 one injector. This is a tow vehicle we also need a reliable truck! Any suggestions?Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I get new injectors they will be BMS50 from Firepunk (energy injectors). DAP is slightly less expensive, but having a distributor 10 miles away with the customer service they do is worth a lot.

Also I'm told that Bosch will not let Exergy sell NEW stock unmodified injectors anymore. Makes me question what others are selling. The BMS50 are brand new and $380 from Exergy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
I use a pint of 2so most fill ups. Not sure what caused this. going to be watching the tailpipe for smoke while driving for quite a while at a minimum.
You need an additive that will do some cleaning of the asphaltenes. Either a periodic usage of MMO, or, Power Service makes an additive with cleaning agents, or, you do a periodic cleaning with an injector cleaner. Without cleaning the build up can cause issues and once the injectors hang due the buildup it almost always scores something that will be problematic.

We are in Phoenix have almost the exact problem on an 06 3500.We have just hit 145000 miles.Tech indicated injector failure 1.00 star scan. I have very little electrical knowledge.Going to replace injectors.Dodge oem replacement an insane price of 845.00 one injector. This is a tow vehicle we also need a reliable truck! Any suggestions? Thanks
NEW Bosch injectors form a reliable source, dealers injectors are typically some crappy remans. You can go to the vendors section here and request a quote.

·
IAFF Local 11
575 Posts
@cerberusiam, what do you personally use for additives, detergents, etc??? I have 2000mi on my BMS 50% from DAP and haven't ran much through the truck. It's 2mic filtered. Just curious so I can stay on top of it. I tried the whole ATF deal with the old injectors, didn't work at 174,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
15,311 Posts
I use a quart of 2SO and 96 oz of Power Service in a mix and put 10-12 ozs per 1/2 tank when I fill. Every 3rd mix I will use MMO instead of the 2SO for cleaning. That worked real well on the stock injectors, pulled them several times to check for carbon as it was doing a lot of light road trips and they were always clean. That was with a Smarty and tuning also. The stockers went over 200k and still perform flawlessly except they were getting noisy and had the typical injector rattle of the VCO 124 degree nozzles. Could have run them longer but was playing with tuning and other things so went with a new set of BMS50's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
BRBurns, what ever became of your injector issues. I am having a very similar issue and was wondering what it took to fix yours. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stuck injector broke free after sitting with ATF in the fuel for 2 days. I ended up replacing the injctors as I was going on several long trips pulling the 5th wheel camper and didn’t trust the old injectors

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the update. So you changed injectors out and never saw the issue again? I am running a set of BBIs that only have ~60k miles on them. Have always been fed by two 2 micron filters. Hard to imagine that they are already out. Resistance across the coils on all injectors is consistent at ~0.4 ohms. Just started running rough all of the sudden, mine almost feels like an injector is hung open as I am getting white smoke at RPM. I have not been good at adding fuel additive. I plan to get an injector rail block-off cap and see if blocking the #3 injector drives a change in the way that it runs. Mine did throw a P0303 (Cylinder #3 misfire) DTC.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No more problems after replacing. Must have over 40k miles since then. Mine was definently stuck closed.....no smoke. If it’s stuck open, I don’t think it could be a coil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts