Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P0216 help!!!

1051 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  02green2wd
me and my family went on a road trip to nebraska this weekend when we almost got there and the cruise was set on at 73mph and all of a sudden the truck loses power and a second later the truck takes off and as fast as it quits it comes back.. i plug in my superchip to read the dtc and it says P0216 injector circuit error. so i stoped and called dodge and the said dont drive it anymore get it fixed. so I found a diesel shop in town deals with cummins motors alot. They said it was the lift pump or injector pump is bad. i didnt have that much money so he said try the lift pump first, we changed it and the problem went away.... he said the injector pump is good. we headed 5hours home and make 10miles from the house and i accelarate for a stop sign and it falls on its face and tells me P0216 again? what the heck!!!!!! please help what is wrong now????????? it only does it under hard accelatration now :confused013:
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
i had the same problem i fixed the lift pump but didnt do anything. i ran it like that for like a month then the truck wouldnt move at all unless i let it run for like 20 minutes. to make a long story short i had to replace the vp44 and its been running like a charm since but its an expensive fix

· Premium Member
757 Posts
Here is what the code means. I hope this helps. You might have the Fuel Pressure checked again and make sure that the new pump is not going out already. :confused013:

P0216 (M) Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure High fuel supply restriction, low fuel pressure or possible
wrong or incorrectly installed pump keyway.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what should the pressure be? where can i get a gauge? doesnt it hook it between the filter and the vp44

· Premium Member
757 Posts
There is a test port right on the VP44 on the inlet side. You just hook a guage up to it. Here is a link that tells you what all to do to test your fuel pressure. Thanks to Mopar1973Man for the information. :thumbsup:

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont see a link

i dont see a link?

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
p0216

do you have to replace the whole vp or can you just fix the computer problem
:confused013::banghead:

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
p0216

whell the truck will be sitting for awhile then :banghead:

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
it'll be around 800 bucks or so for an SO pump, and 400-500 for the core...

if i was you, i'd sell the SuperChip, and, buy a Air Dog lift pump as well...:thumbsup:

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
p0216

what is wrong with the superchip? it has a brand new airtek lift pump :confused013:

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well this is a pain!!! i erased the code and went out to drive it for a hour and I drove it hard for a few pulls and nothin no more codes and it runs reat any one have ideas? :confused013::banging::whyme:

· Registered
1,076 Posts
well this is a pain!!! i erased the code and went out to drive it for a hour and I drove it hard for a few pulls and nothin no more codes and it runs reat any one have ideas? :confused013::banging::whyme:
216 along with deal pedal will become more frequent untill you get stranded somewhere. The thing is there is no telling how long from days to months.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the airtex pump was junk would only be able to give 7 to 8 psi wot STOCK with the chip off well on i didnt make it to wot i backed off. raptor 100 on the way... if i drive the truck nice stock it is just fine.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.