Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already changed injection pump, fuel supply pump and is still pulling code for injection pump timing malfunction. Truck is a 2000 24V Cummins - anyone have any suggestions or familiar with this problem?? Don't know what else to try. Thanks :help

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
have you tried clearing the codes to see if it comes back ?

·
Ontario Chapter President
2,489 Posts
Did you replace the fuel pump with another "stock" pump? I've heard of issues with brand new pumps not working up to par causing this same issue. :thud:
How's the fuel pressure at the VP inlet, #21 on the picture is a good place to start to knock things off the list of what it might be causing the issue. I'm sure if you posted up in your local chapter somebody would have access to a fuel pressure gauge and help ya out. Vp's like it between 10 and 20 psi, note your fuel pressure @ idle and WOT, if ya can see what its at running down the road cruising. Its hard if your only testing it under the hood, maybe a fp gauge would be a wise investment as well. When my VP went out I replaced it and added a FASS 150 gph pump and I watch it very carefully with a steering column mounted pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cleared code, it comes back. It still runs with the code, but still has the "DEAD PEDAL SYNDROME" off an on, just like it did before the change. Press in the clutch, give it a little gas and let it out and it runs fine again. Almost like something electrical or possible with PCM???

·
Registered
205 Posts
Try to reset the TPS. Disconnect the batteries, then the tps and clean the connector. Apply a light coat of dielectric compound to the cleaned connector. Plug it back in and reconnect the Batts. Turn the ignition on without starting. Press the throttle to the floor and slowly release it three times. Turn off the ignition and try to start. Let us know how it works. Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Reset TPS and is still doing the same thing - Will bad MAPP sensor cause it to act like this. It doesn't do it all the time, truck does run good, but it is also still pulling the P0216 code. Or could the new pump be bad????

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
you may have a bad VP

·
Free spirit
2,015 Posts
It doesn't happen too much anymore but it would not be the first problem pump off the shelf. Where did your replacement come from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the problem

It ended up being a bad keyway on the VP - changed it out and hope to having it running tomorrow. :pray:
Thanks for the help

·
Ontario Chapter President
2,489 Posts
Did the key fall out during installation? :w:
When I replaced mine that key was just about welded in there....:thud: I wasn't gonna fuss with it much so we just put her back together.

Glad to hear ya finally figured this out. :thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gear the keyway fits into was bad and once the new one was installed and we ran the truck, the bad gear shaved part of the keyway down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts