Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the dreaded p2509 three time in the last two months so i had the batteries checked and they were a little under par under load so I replaced both of them. Two weeks later (today) I am driving about 60mph and the truck has another power loss again only this time it also throws p0116 code (P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance / Rationality) and it sounded like the fan was stuck on while I was driving.

Could one be caused by the other? :banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got the exact same issue this morning with my 2006 5.9 Mega. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine's currently at the dealer and they're trying to figure it out. Bad thing is that they can't seem to reproduce it and the only thing their scan shows is a fuel pressure over the limit that has been stored somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK so truck was at the dealer yesterday and they have no idea what's going on. They couldn't get it to act up, and it was fine all yesterday, but today on the way to work it cut out and threw a 0116 and 2509 code again.

If anyone has any ideas please help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My research is pointing at the clutch fan as the cause of this stalling and codes. I picked up a new one and will be installing it this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmmmm, interesting. What made you head in that direction? Be sure to post your results though!
I've already replaced both batteries and cleaned all the grounds and power leads. I've even tried adding a extra ground to the ECM. None of that helped.

I originally thought it was related to the grid heater since mine usually acted up within the first couple minutes of starting when the heater is cycling. Because it also started stalling while driving when the engine is already warmed up, that shot that idea down.

The problem only happens in the winter, so I know this is cold temperature related and not just a bad connection somewhere. The fan acting up, points to the fan clutch since the viscous coupling in the fan clutch is effected by temperatures.

I also talked to a Dodge mechanic that indicated that usually this problem is the fan clutch acting up.

I'll post back the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well that all sounds like a decent explanation. Hopefully it works! I usually just get the P2509 code, but have got the 0116 to tag along with it a couple times recently as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
same

I also have the P0116 and P2509 codes....my truck will cut out going highway speeds and then throw the codes. It seems to only happen when the temperature outside drops to 30 degrees or colder. I have replaced the T-stat, the temp sensor, and both batteries. ....so any ideas on the fix? Dealerships and mechanics seem to guess at the possible solutions. ...ps have you installed any after market radios that tap into ignition power? Did the fan clutch fix it? thx :confused013:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't gotten around to changing the fan clutch yet. I'll hopefully get around to doing it this week. At the same time, the truck has not acted up in the last week or two with the minimal driving I've been doing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine won't do it unless the temp is under 35 degrees it seems. Occasionally it will do it up to like 40, but it's when the truck is really cold. I still haven't come across a solution, and it's still only throwing the 2509 code with a very occasional 0116.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven't gotten around to changing the fan clutch yet. I'll hopefully get around to doing it this week. At the same time, the truck has not acted up in the last week or two with the minimal driving I've been doing.
Any chance you've found the mystery fix yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I still haven't changed the clutch fan. The plan is to do it tomorrow.

Looks like a pain in the rear-end to change...

·
Registered
4 Posts
same

Mine is still doing it, today temp outside was at 28 degrees and the truck had been sitting overnight. I am about ready to sell my truck. :doh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was doing that for the last month so I installed new batteries,nothing.Then i re-did all the grounds and added a few more,greased all the connections put new cables on and it still did it.Finally I put all new battery clamps on aand got rid of those factory ones with the cables right into them and put actual connectors on the ends of the cables and no more code.So try battery clamps if all else fails these trucks are so picky to voltage

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have same issue but mines throwing-0483 cooling fan speed 2502- charging system output voltage. 2009- ECM/PCM power intermittent 0622- general field not switching properly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish the clutch fan had fixed the issue but nope.

It did the power interruption last week and gave the P2509 code again. Only does it when temps are below freezing outside.

At least I did not get the fan clutch code this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts