Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this in another thread but I figured my chances of more people seeing it here would be better.
First I will give my set up and then the symptoms. I have a tbe 5" with a muffler and all the sensors are zip tied up. the egr, egr cooler are also deleted. the egr servo motor is zip tied up with the plunger removed and still plugged in and the sensor on the back, bottom side of the intake horn is unplugged just like the mads instructions say.

I was pulling a 35ft flatbed trailor for a 1400 mile trip and 40 miles into the trip my cel and lightning bolt come on so I pull over and when I come to a stop the truck starts to idle at 900 rpm instead of 600 rpm and the turbo is whistling loudly, so I pull into a parking lot and everytime I start rolling from a stop my engine struggles and hesitates until I get up and rolling. If I hook up the smarty and clear the code (p0106 the truck still runs bad, but if I actuall redownload the smarty then all is good for about 100 to 150 miles). After about 100 to 150 mile my overhead starts to ding and say that the dpf is 80% full and then 90% full and the truck needs to regen now so I again pull over and check the codes and now it is p0106 and p1451 so I clear them first and the overhead still says dpf full so I redownload the smarty and all is good for about another 100 to 150 miles. Let me tell you that having to do this everytime you fuel up or eat or stop to use the bathroom is a pain in the rear. I have tried to turn the key on and wait 3 min and then clear the codes and redownload and still the same symptoms. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please chime in and let me know. When the smarty and truck work together it is incredible power and smooth and Im as happy as can be, but I cant run my truck like this with it acting up I have to be able to drive distance with out stopping all the time. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
639 Posts
Plug the Intake Throttle Body Valve back in. After you clear the codes of course!
This resolved all my issues.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
I have posted this in another thread but I figured my chances of more people seeing it here would be better.
First I will give my set up and then the symptoms. I have a tbe 5" with a muffler and all the sensors are zip tied up. the egr, egr cooler are also deleted. the egr servo motor is zip tied up with the plunger removed and still plugged in and the sensor on the back, bottom side of the intake horn is unplugged just like the mads instructions say.

I was pulling a 35ft flatbed trailor for a 1400 mile trip and 40 miles into the trip my cel and lightning bolt come on so I pull over and when I come to a stop the truck starts to idle at 900 rpm instead of 600 rpm and the turbo is whistling loudly, so I pull into a parking lot and everytime I start rolling from a stop my engine struggles and hesitates until I get up and rolling. If I hook up the smarty and clear the code (p0106 the truck still runs bad, but if I actuall redownload the smarty then all is good for about 100 to 150 miles). After about 100 to 150 mile my overhead starts to ding and say that the dpf is 80% full and then 90% full and the truck needs to regen now so I again pull over and check the codes and now it is p0106 and p1451 so I clear them first and the overhead still says dpf full so I redownload the smarty and all is good for about another 100 to 150 miles. Let me tell you that having to do this everytime you fuel up or eat or stop to use the bathroom is a pain in the rear. I have tried to turn the key on and wait 3 min and then clear the codes and redownload and still the same symptoms. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please chime in and let me know. When the smarty and truck work together it is incredible power and smooth and Im as happy as can be, but I cant run my truck like this with it acting up I have to be able to drive distance with out stopping all the time. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Michael

i am not trying to say that you didnt just asking so please dont take offense. but did you download the me version on to your smarty

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks,
Michael
Did you plug the wire in on the pressure switch on the side of the transmission? It should be plugged in. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
Mike has the sims coming so we will see if that helps his problem.

James
RSD

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There is a good chance the 1451 code will throw you in limp mode, at least it happend to me when I had it, also I think thats one of the codes that would not clear, had to go to the dealer and get the truck reflashed. And also, if you play with the ecu while your truck is trying to regen, it will keep happening till it finishes its cycle I do believe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys.

Howdy, I have the me version downloaded. the regular version doesnt give you the option to turn the egr and dpf off. Good Idea though. no offense taken at all.

H & S tech, I have some sims coming so I will see if this helps also. Thanks for the reply and ideas. very stand up of a company.

Fast car, I didnt unplug any wire by the tranny, All I did was take the 3 egt sensor and 2 O2 sensor out of the exhause and zip tie them up and the 2 rubber lines are just hanging there now. (im guessing they are preassure lines)

freedspirot, I am going to try to plug that wire back in and see what happens. I think I have to drive a little bit of a distance to test it though because it hasnt happened to me just driving around town and stoping and starting the truck.

Thanks to everyone for the help. This forum is awesome. I know we will be able to figure this out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mattiac thanks I hope it doesnt throw me into regen because I have all the deletes done and if that happened I would have to reverse everything and go to the dealership and that would be a big pain in the but.... I dont think it is regening but my truck has never regened since ive owned it but it only has 5200 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I really dont know anything about the smarty, but not having the resistors in place of the 3 egt sensors would make it think somethings up and try to regen. But you didnt mention something about the ME software to shut the DPF off, so that wouldnt matter. SO maybe something didnt download right, i dont know. I guess the next option is to add those resistors. try to limit your driving until you do that just incase you are thrown into limp modr

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Smarty did clear my DPF 90% overhead code. It took two tries. I may not have waited quite long enough the first time. I installed the sims and so far I am code free for about 60 mi. Will know more tomorrow.
Dale

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have ordered some sims but they are in the mail at this time so when they come in I will be putting them on and seeing what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts