Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P0088...fuel rail pressure too high. How often do you guys get this code? I got it for the first time a year ago when I was on the dyno for the first time. Cleared it after the dyno run and never saw it again. A month ago I got the code down at the dyno, and again cleared the code, no big deal, truck ran just fine.

Now I get the code whenever I am pushing the truck hard. It will clear itself after a few days and the truck runs fine. Is there anything I should be checking? I searched on the code, and found a lot of people having trouble with their fca and their trucks not or barely running. Mine runs just fine, I just get the code everynow and again.

Just want to make sure there is not something I should be checking or changing. Both times at the dyno I had rail pressure set to 4, so I know that is why the code was set then. But for daily driving my rail setting on the smarty is 1 or 2.

I know my injectors and my airdog are both in good working order.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently had the same issue. You have injectors too? I don't know why it happens, but I am subscribing to see if anyone else can add...Keep us posted

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine just did it yesterday. I use my truck daily for city and highway driving, hardly ever any pulling. But yesterday I picked my boat up and drove it approximately 2.5 hours with the 90hp setting (#5) an I felt a loss of power when trying to accelerate on interstate. Code is P0088. Not exactly sure what RP setting it's on but I think it's 2. I have stock injectors. I'll check later on but I used to run the #9 setting full time for daily driving and never had a prob with RP. (prob a year and a half doing this). Could it have been the load I was pulling caused the pressure to increase past sensor range? Is it ok to clear and keep on keeping on? Not a huge gear head, but have a mechanical engineer degree, so I'm just dangerous enough to cause myself lots of money....so thanks in advance to any help you guys can offer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey all I just got a code 88 after changing my FCA. I put in the new FCA, the truck finally started, woohoo, but was rattling pretty loud, shut it off, and found code 88.
What is up with this? oh yeah the PRV got pretty hot after 2 minutes of idling.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
Hey all I just got a code 88 after changing my FCA. I put in the new FCA, the truck finally started, woohoo, but was rattling pretty loud, shut it off, and found code 88.
What is up with this? oh yeah the PRV got pretty hot after 2 minutes of idling.
Was the FCA plugged in?

If not, it will send max psi in a hurry, and that rattles like hell.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update!! Went back out and pulled the connector off of the FCA. Sprayed it with WD-40, connected it back. The truck fired right up and ran smoooth, the PRV stayed cold, no more too high rail pressure.
Now to go get the 088 code cleared.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well hells bells. Drove around, stopped several times, started several times, went Advanced auto and cleared the codes with the scan tool.
Got home shut if off and an hour later went to start, no start.
The FCA does not always click or anything when turning key on or off.
Has anyone had problems with the connector or wiring to the FCA?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts