Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
So my ‘14 just popped the same codes, P003A and P00AF.

I rarely use the exhaust brake and have 85k miles on a stock emission equipped motor.

I’ve been saving up for a delete, but it looks like this is not effected by the emissions equipment.

I cleared the code yesterday and it has yet to come back.

Is there a way to pull the turbo and clean the fins so that the VGT works properly again? Or so that the actuator does not go out?

I would really rather not drop $500-$3000 on a repair right now.

Also is there a way to tell by the codes if it’s the actuator or the turbo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Go Packers
6,349 Posts
@ttengineer

Just a thought here. On my '12, I turn the EB & tow haul on every time upon start up. Done this since I took delivery 8/2012. I've had zero issues to date with the turbo. From how I understand it, using it helps keeps things from getting sooted up & keeps moving parts moving like they should.

I have 76,5xx miles currently on my truck.

My emissions are in tack. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
14,197 Posts
So my ‘14 just popped the same codes, P003A and P00AF.

I rarely use the exhaust brake and have 85k miles on a stock emission equipped motor.

I’ve been saving up for a delete, but it looks like this is not effected by the emissions equipment.

I cleared the code yesterday and it has yet to come back.

Is there a way to pull the turbo and clean the fins so that the VGT works properly again? Or so that the actuator does not go out?

I would really rather not drop $500-$3000 on a repair right now.

Also is there a way to tell by the codes if it’s the actuator or the turbo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First, since you've already cleared the codes, is to wait and see if they come back. They probably will, but it may take a while.
Once they do come back, there may be other codes that pop too.

There really isn't any way to get around at least a actuator replacement. When that time comes you would have to remove the old one and check the travel of the VGT actuator arm, to see if it moves throughout its range of motion easily, no resistance at all, if so then you can probably get away with just replacing the actuator, otherwise it will be a whole turbo replacement.
As to cleaning the VGT vanes of carbon buildup yourself, the turbo would need to be completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, not something I would suggest for someone to try at home.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts