Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Hooray for proofreading before posting 馃檭 lol but yeah you鈥檙e exhaust brAke is important to use so things don鈥檛 get sticky. I believe mine failed due to previous owner syndrome.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Hooray for proofreading before posting 馃檭 lol but yeah you鈥檙e exhaust brAke is important to use so things don鈥檛 get sticky. I believe mine failed due to previous owner syndrome.
Like I said, I鈥檓 dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to diesels. This mistake could cost me a new turbo. This really sucks.

Registered
Like I said, I鈥檓 dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to diesels. This mistake could cost me a new turbo. This really sucks.
Part of it is most likely not using the exhaust brake and the low miles you have. The turbo with 529k miles got that because it鈥檚 always being used. Hasn鈥檛 had a chance to stiffen up or stick. First button I push when I start my truck is the exhaust brake. Put it on full and I try and drive so it uses it.

If you have time and can pull your current actuator to ensure the turbo canes move freely before ordering a replacement. Does your truck drive good and boost good?

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Part of it is most likely not using the exhaust brake and the low miles you have. The turbo with 529k miles got that because it鈥檚 always being used. Hasn鈥檛 had a chance to stiffen up or stick. First button I push when I start my truck is the exhaust brake. Put it on full and I try and drive so it uses it.

If you have time and can pull your current actuator to ensure the turbo canes move freely before ordering a replacement. Does your truck drive good and boost good?
Yes it drives like it always has. I was able to get the boost to 40 percent when I drove it after clearing the codes. That was doing about 60 mph.

Registered
What kind of boost pressure can you get starting from a dead stop? Think my truck has hit maybe 32 at the highest but usually levels to 27 or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
What kind of boost pressure can you get starting from a dead stop? Think my truck has hit maybe 32 at the highest but usually levels to 27 or so.
Not sure. I鈥檒l have to check when I get home. My truck gave me those codes a day before my wife and I we鈥檙e leaving to Sparks, Nevada with our travel trailer for the 4th. We had to rent a truck to pull our trailer. Won鈥檛 be home till the 12th.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I would have just driven the truck with codes showing, so long as it was still running well enough to go down the road normally.
I didn鈥檛 want to risk damaging anything else. As soon as I get home I鈥檒l clear the codes again, put the exhaust brake on and go from there. If they come on again, I鈥檒l remove the actuator and make sure the canes can move freely. If not I鈥檒l have to purchase a new turbo. Live and learn the hard way. It is what it is.

Registered
I鈥檝e had this truck since 2015 and I don鈥檛 think I鈥檝e ever used the exhaust brake. Maybe that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 giving me a problem.
Doesn't hurt to use it but it won't prevent the actuator failure. They are not failing because they are "hanging up" from lack of use or soot build up, they are failing because of heat and under rated components used in the stock unit. I spoke with the designer on the city diesel actuator on another forum and asked if he had done a failure analysis on the stock unit and he said practically every one he had looked at were internal component failure. (electronics)

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Doesn't hurt to use it but it won't prevent the actuator failure. They are not failing because they are "hanging up" from lack of use or soot build up, they are failing because of heat and under rated components used in the stock unit. I spoke with the designer on the city diesel actuator on another forum and asked if he had done a failure analysis on the stock unit and he said practically every one he had looked at were internal component failure. (electronics)

I really hope that鈥檚 the case with mine. Thank you for the info.

Registered

I don't agree. Carbon buildup blocks the vanes from moving freely and this jams the actuator causing failure.
I'm sure a number of them fail from purely electronic issues as well, but that's not the only failures.

So, using the EB will help prevent many failures.

Registered
Edited,....

Registered
Don't have to pull the turbo to check it. If it's good just install the actuator and motor on down the road.

Registered
I didn鈥檛 want to risk damaging anything else. As soon as I get home I鈥檒l clear the codes again, put the exhaust brake on and go from there. If they come on again, I鈥檒l remove the actuator and make sure the canes can move freely. If not I鈥檒l have to purchase a new turbo. Live and learn the hard way. It is what it is.
Don鈥檛 reuse the rubber gasket if you pull the actuator off it smashes 1 time use you鈥檒l leak coolant into the actuator

Registered
There are people who've had their actuators fail claiming they used the exhaust brake all the time. I think it's just a sub-standard design.

Reactions: Mpsylvia41

Registered
My actuator went out a month ago, been using exhaust brake on full all the time. I ended up replacing the whole turbo with a fleece cheetah, to many of my friends just replaced the actuator and continue to replace them. Fleece uses there own actuator not a holset. Will see how much better. BTW truck is a 2015 with <22k miles, Go figure

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Ok ladies and gents. Here鈥檚 an update on my trucks situation. When I got home this evening I started the truck and turned on the exhaust break. The check engine light was still on. On initial start and take off I was able to get the turbo up to 6 psi. I drove it around the block and the check engine light turned off. Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on? Does this mean my Turbo and exhaust break are now working and I can move on??

Registered
Ok ladies and gents. Here鈥檚 an update on my trucks situation. When I got home this evening I started the truck and turned on the exhaust break. The check engine light was still on. On initial start and take off I was able to get the turbo up to 6 psi. I drove it around the block and the check engine light turned off. Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on? Does this mean my Turbo and exhaust break are now working and I can move on??
Thats what mine did, Check light came on, so I turned around and headed home, light turned off for a few miles and came back on.. In other words it will come back

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Ok, well I ordered a new actuator anyway. I went with the City Diesel actuator that doesn鈥檛 require calibration. Genos garage didn鈥檛 have any in stock and were 2 weeks out so I called City Diesel directly and they shipped me one same day. They鈥檙e based in Alabama.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts