Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I own a 2014 Ram 2500 with 44k miles on it currently. The check engine light just came on. I connected my OBD scanner to it and the codes I’m receiving are P003A and P00AF. After looking into the codes I’ve read that it could be the actuator or the turbo itself. Has anyone here experienced the same codes? Is this normal for a truck with low mileage? Not sure what to do. I’m dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to Diesel engines. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
If you search here, you will find LOTS of info on this.

I take it you have no warranty on this truck?

Were it me, I would clear the codes and see if they come back, if so then you can try replacing the actuator or just do the whole turbo. Find a good independent shop to handle the repair for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you search here, you will find LOTS of info on this.

I take it you have no warranty on this truck?

Were it me, I would clear the codes and see if they come back, if so then you can try replacing the actuator or just do the whole turbo. Find a good independent shop to handle the repair for you.
No Sir. No warranty. I tried clearing the codes and drove the truck about 4 miles and they appeared again. I found an actuator at Genos garage for about $895 and it says you don’t need to do the computer calibration with it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
No Sir. No warranty. I tried clearing the codes and drove the truck about 4 miles and they appeared again. I found an actuator at Genos garage for about $895 and it says you don’t need to do the computer calibration with it.
Have a friend that went with the City Diesel actuator from Geno's and it worked great. Saved him thousands over what the dealer wanted. It was plug and play and it is a more robust design then the stock unit. "if" mine ever goes out that's what I am putting in.

Reactions: Mpsylvia41

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a friend that went with the City Diesel actuator from Geno's and it worked great. Saved him thousands over what the dealer wanted. It was plug and play and it is a more robust design then the stock unit. "if" mine ever goes out that's what I am putting in.

I’m thinking of getting the one from Genos. Does anyone know how difficult it is to change the actuator out or should I have a shop do it? I’m pretty good with a wrench.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Replacing just the actuator is fine, but you have to make sure that the VGT vanes in the turbo are working perfectly free, if not then the new actuator will go south quickly. They get a carbon buildup in the mechanism that makes them not move freely throughout their travel range.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I’m thinking of getting the one from Genos. Does anyone know how difficult it is to change the actuator out or should I have a shop do it? I’m pretty good with a wrench.
My friend is no mechanic by any means and he was able to do it.

Reactions: Mpsylvia41

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replacing just the actuator is fine, but you have to make sure that the VGT vanes in the turbo are working perfectly free, if not then the new actuator will go south quickly. They get a carbon buildup in the mechanism that makes them not move freely throughout their travel range.
Got it. If I have to replace the turbo all together do you recommend going OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Got it. If I have to replace the turbo all together do you recommend going OEM or aftermarket?
I think you can get a new fleece cheatah for quite a bit less than oem, but probably a turbo rebuilder could just rebuild yours cheapest of all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Thanks for all your feed back. I will keep this post updated with the actuator install. Hopefully it will help someone else who might run in to the same problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used an actuator from vehiclemodule.com it was 580 bucks pre calibrated with an optional 6 year warranty for 60 bucks no core charge they just won’t activate warranty until you send in a core. Actuator install was super simple just take the wheel liner out of the passenger side and drain your radiator first. 1 electrical connector and 4 bolts and you’re back in buisiness. Whole thing took less than an hour including the radiator drain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used an actuator from vehiclemodule.com it was 580 bucks pre calibrated with an optional 6 year warranty for 60 bucks no core charge they just won’t activate warranty until you send in a core. Actuator install was super simple just take the wheel liner out of the passenger side and drain your radiator first. 1 electrical connector and 4 bolts and you’re back in buisiness. Whole thing took less than an hour including the radiator drain.
Awesome Brother. Thank you. I will definitely look into that acutuator. I will post an update with pictures of the new one and the install. I’m praying that this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
A couple tips for future turbo health on your truck, use the exhaust brake anytime you can, and give the turbo a little cool down time before shutting the truck down, especially after highway runs and towing/hauling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple tips for future turbo health on your truck, use the exhaust brake anytime you can, and give the turbo a little cool down time before shutting the truck down, especially after highway runs and towing/hauling.
I’ve had this truck since 2015 and I don’t think I’ve ever used the exhaust brake. Maybe that’s why it’s giving me a problem.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I’ve had this truck since 2015 and I don’t think I’ve ever used the exhaust brake. Maybe that’s why it’s giving me a problem.
Using the exhaust brake makes the VGT vanes travel through their full range, this helps to keep the carbon buildup down.
The exhaust brake will also greatly extend the life of the brake pads.

I run mine in the full on position all the time, except in snow/ice conditions.

And, I give it cool down time before every shutdown.

Turbo and actuator on my truck is original, 529K miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Using the exhaust brake makes the VGT vanes travel through their full range, this helps to keep the carbon buildup down.
The exhaust brake will also greatly extend the life of the brake pads.

I run mine in the full on position all the time, except in snow/ice conditions.

And, I give it cool down time before every shutdown.

Turbo and actuator on my truck is original, 529K miles.
Wow! I better make sure the exhaust brake still works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I run my exhaust break on auto and use tow haul mode exclusively unless I’m in the mountains or pulling a trailer then I use it on full

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Didn’t know how important it was to run the exhaust break.
Even more important to use the exhaust BRAKE... 😝

1 - 20 of 43 Posts