Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting, long time reader/watcher

I have been looking into the P003A code that my 2014 6.7 keeps throwing. I first saw this code pop up a year ago only a few weeks after purchasing the truck used, go figure.

The truck is my daily driver, but normally can go a few weeks without the code coming back on after I clear it. at first I thought the code was due to needing to replace the CCV breather filter, but after research I see that most people get this code with a bad turbo actuators, but most the time the exhaust brake stops working. My EB works fine, from what I can tell, and the turbo is working fine, other than not creating more than about 25ish lbs when code is present. I'm doing my research on purchasing another or new Turbo to fix the problem for good.

My question is, Since my truck is only throwing the one P003A code every now and then, but Turbo and EB seem to be working fine, Am I looking at an actuator issue and maybe not the Turbo?
Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the EB works, the turbo is probably sooted up and can be cleaned. The actuators are also known to go bad and can work well when cold then fail when they get warm. The only way to determine if it is the turbo is to pull the actuator and see if the arm moves freely from stop to stop. If it does then you only need to replace that. If not, then you either need to rebuild or buy a new turbo and actuator. Do not try to reuse your old actuator as it is probably tired and it can be a source of major trouble.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the EB works, the turbo is probably sooted up and can be cleaned. The actuators are also known to go bad and can work well when cold then fail when they get warm. The only way to determine if it is the turbo is to pull the actuator and see if the arm moves freely from stop to stop. If it does then you only need to replace that. If not, then you either need to rebuild or buy a new turbo and actuator. Do not try to reuse your old actuator as it is probably tired and it can be a source of major trouble.

using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, can I remove the actuator to check it, and put it back on until I get a new one, if needed? I know the new actuators when installed need a calibration, is that the case if I remove the actuator to check the functioning of it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the info, can I remove the actuator to check it, and put it back on until I get a new one, if needed? I know the new actuators when installed need a calibration, is that the case if I remove the actuator to check the functioning of it?
Did this question about reusing the actuator after testing it ever get answered?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You will need to recalibrate the actuator. Any time the lever is moved it changes the positions for the limits on the stepper motor in the actuator. The process is easy and can be done with Alfaobd. In fact that is the quickest part of the whole job.

using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need to recalibrate the actuator. Any time the lever is moved it changes the positions for the limits on the stepper motor in the actuator. The process is easy and can be done with Alfaobd. In fact that is the quickest part of the whole job.

using Tapatalk
Alright, thanks for the response!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts