Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ya i think i'v heard of this before but also would like to know more about it?

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
talk to bosshog his is p pumped :thumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have been play with mine and 28* of timming works the best. i was just wondering what anybody else was running.
could you make a thread or somthing about how to install a p-pump. i think that would be awesome.

or at least tell us about the install, parts used, and time it took to complete.

that would be really cool. thanks.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i have been play with mine and 28* of timming works the best. i was just wondering what anybody else was running.
where is your shop located?

im somewhat interested in this conversion

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
sorry to just jump onto this thread but i'd like to know if the ecm on the engine has to be changed at all? thanks:thumbsup

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
sorry to just jump onto this thread but i'd like to know if the ecm on the engine has to be changed at all? thanks:thumbsup
You won't need an ECM anymore. If I'm not mistaken???

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YES you will need the ECM. with out it your tech will not work. with out the tech the pcm will not know if the motor is running of not. If motor is not running you will not have AC,Att will not charge, and tranny will not shift if it's an auto. tech,oil pressure, and water temp gauges all run thru ECM. so on a 98.5 to 00 you will need to have the crank senser hooked up( the one down behind the starter). on 01 to 02 you need the cam senser hooked up(under the vp-44 on timming cover). that is what makes your tech to work. the only thing not need any more is vp-44 wiring. auto trucks will need to keep APPS senser working for tranny controls. 5 or 6 spd truck will not need the APPS any more.
parts need are.
12v timming housing (alum housing that mounts to block)
p-pump and likage.
fuel lines ( pump to head).
pump support bracket.
pump drive gear.
All parts are cummins parts. ex fuel lines.

To do this in the truck it will take 8 to 10 hours if you know what your doing. there is a lot of work to be done. remove all of the stuff on the front of the motor, then remove cam. replace timming housing. then put it all back together. you have to remove Rad,intercooler, bumper and move ac condeser out of you way. it's not some thing you want to do if you not ready for a long weekend.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
YES you will need the ECM. with out it your tech will not work. with out the tech the pcm will not know if the motor is running of not. If motor is not running you will not have AC,Att will not charge, and tranny will not shift if it's an auto. tech,oil pressure, and water temp gauges all run thru ECM. so on a 98.5 to 00 you will need to have the crank senser hooked up( the one down behind the starter). on 01 to 02 you need the cam senser hooked up(under the vp-44 on timming cover). that is what makes your tech to work. the only thing not need any more is vp-44 wiring. auto trucks will need to keep APPS senser working for tranny controls. 5 or 6 spd truck will not need the APPS any more.
parts need are.
p-pump and likage.
pump support bracket.
pump drive gear.

To do this in the truck it will take 8 to 10 hours if you know what your doing. there is a lot of work to be done. remove all of the stuff on the front of the motor, then remove cam. replace timming housing. then put it all back together. you have to remove Rad,intercooler, bumper and move ac condeser out of you way. it's not some thing you want to do if you not ready for a long weekend.
Alright forget what I said before. The master has spoken!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
why does the camshaft need to be removed? is this because of installing the camshaft with the lobe for the mechanical lift pump? and for my last question:lol3: why cant the original ecm be retained? i'm not disagreeing with anything i'm just wanting to learn as much as i can.:thumbsup

parts need are.
p-pump and likage.
pump support bracket.
pump drive gear.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why does the camshaft need to be removed? is this because of installing the camshaft with the lobe for the mechanical lift pump? and for my last question:lol3: why cant the original ecm be retained? i'm not disagreeing with anything i'm just wanting to learn as much as i can.:thumbsup
1. the can needs to be romoved to change out the timming housing. there is part of the alum housing that go behind the cam gear. so the gear needs to be pulled just to change housing. you can put the stock cam back in or use a 94-98 12v cam for lift pump lobe if you like. most guys who do p-pump swaps will run big lift pumps like FASS or Airdog or something.
2. the stock ecm is retained. the only thing you will not use from the 24v parts are the VP-44,front cover,gear,and fuel lines. the only plug of the wiring harness that does not plug back into some thing is the VP-44 plug(the big black sliding plug on the back of the pump). you can just cut the plug off or hide it some were.
3.i will go take some pics and post them up in a little bit of what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
when pulling the cam out could one just pull it out far enough to put the new timing cover in?

1. the can needs to be romoved to change out the timming housing. there is part of the alum housing that go behind the cam gear. so the gear needs to be pulled just to change housing. you can put the stock cam back in or use a 94-98 12v cam for lift pump lobe if you like. most guys who do p-pump swaps will run big lift pumps like FASS or Airdog or something.
2. the stock ecm is retained. the only thing you will not use from the 24v parts are the VP-44,front cover,gear,and fuel lines. the only plug of the wiring harness that does not plug back into some thing is the VP-44 plug(the big black sliding plug on the back of the pump). you can just cut the plug off or hide it some were.
3.i will go take some pics and post them up in a little bit of what needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
What are you looking at to find that 28* is the best. EGT? smoke? Just woundering thanku.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
when pulling the cam out could one just pull it out far enough to put the new timing cover in?
Yes and no. To get the cover to clear the cam, it will have to be pulled out far enough that the lifters will all have to be raised up anyway. May as well pull it all the way out and get it out of the way.

Timing will depend on alot of things, but the biggest thing is what you plan to do with the truck.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Oh and I would recommend not cutting any wires. I am in the middle of a VP conversion. I converted a truck over to a P-pump for a customer. He is doing something different with the truck, and part of that is putting it back to a VP. I left all the wiring there, just zip tied it together to the harness so it would be neat. Now I am glad I did. He was wanting to rip it all out to get it out of the way when I did the P-pump conversion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts