Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P Pump vs vp44 and lift pump

5311 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  FireMed
I am getting into the diesel market and with a 2002 dodge ram 2500. I hear that those are common problems and it is reccomended that the lift pump gets replaced with an aftermarket pump or the vp44 can die due to under fueling.

Would i be better off doing a P pump conversoin or a aftermarket lift pump?

Any and all info would be awesome.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you plan on doing with the truck? The VP is a good pump when you feed it with plenty of fuel.
i plan on doing a leveling kit 35in tires, twin turbos, straight pipe and injectors. id really like to make it pretty wicked after i get a new vehicle. i have access to do the work and know of a few diesel mechanics who will help me but i want to know what the feeling of cummins drivers is here as to where it would be best for me.

· Registered
139 Posts
id say keep the vp till it fails, buy a FASS or airdog 150 pump(becuase you are gonna want one anyway if you p pump it) and just gather the parts you need to do the swap if you really want to do it

· Registered
236 Posts
p pump= lots of fuel.

i dont think you'd need one unless you was building a drag or a bad pullin truck. just for a street rod if i was gunna do something like you i'd prolly get a hrvp44;alot cheaper. is it a 5 or 6spd? the ho pump in 6spd trucks will to good till around 500ish then i reckon they start to fail (someone correct me if i'm wrong) & the so pump in 5spd trucks does good to 800hp. it's really what your plans are.
just my .02

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
the HO pump doesn't "fail" after 500, it just won't make much more

unless you want to be all out all the time, keep the SO pump, p pump it or monster if you want a lot of fuel

· Hemi
13,184 Posts
p pump= lots of fuel.

i dont think you'd need one unless you was building a drag or a bad pullin truck. just for a street rod if i was gunna do something like you i'd prolly get a hrvp44;alot cheaper. is it a 5 or 6spd? the ho pump in 6spd trucks will to good till around 500ish then i reckon they start to fail (someone correct me if i'm wrong) & the so pump in 5spd trucks does good to ~650hp. it's really what your plans are.
just my .02
Fixed it for ya bud. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
i didn't think we were good for that.....

if you're lucky enough to find the "holy grail" of 24 valve VP's like what mitch has, a six speed SO, you get the best of both worlds

· Registered
6,585 Posts
if i had to do it again, i would be VERY tempted to p pump it off the bat.

like said above, a HO (6 speed) pump will take you to ~500hp. and a SO (5 speed/autos) are good for ~650hp. it depends on your desired hp level. you may wana check this out too :thumbsup: 98.5-02 24V P-Pump Conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

· Registered
139 Posts
you dont just have to p pump a 24v for power. lots of people p pump their trucks for the reliablility. you can easily have a p pumped 24v and not be running crazy amounts of fuel. its all on really what your preference is. i plan on p pumping my truck this summer. im on my 3rd vp and im gettin pretty sick of them.

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
Id say stick with the vp for now

Get a good fuel system and you will be ok.

if you do decide to p-pump it at some point in the future you can bump the psi of the lift pump up and it should work just fine.

· Registered
792 Posts
please define wicked, do you race or pull. what kind of times do yo want, what class do you want to pull in. just because you say injectors and twins that really doesnt mean much to me and a lot of others on here. we need to know what you plan to do with the truck or what hp you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.