Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up an 89 D250 RCLB 2x4 5sp with 200k miles on it. My overall goal is make a sleeper truck out of it and currently the truck has several fuel leaks from the IP (hindering fuel mileage). I have a 215hp p-pump in my possession that I picked up from a running truck but broke a shaft in the governor housing and caused it to run away til 3,000rpm.

So my question is, should I just get a seal kit for my VE and crank it up, buy a rebuilt pump, or start pricing together parts to do a p-pump??

And don't give me the "you aren't a true 1st Gen...." because frankly, I don't care.

·
Registered
665 Posts
How much power do you want, and are you willing to use silly spray?

Under 500rwhp on fuel, I'd stay VE.

Sled pulling or 600-700hp, switch to a p-pump or pony up the dough for a 14mm VE.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Real good simple responses. That makes pretty good sense since I would be happy with 400hp 2wd truck. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
400 is a very reachable goal with a manual transmission. Heck, you might even get close with the N/IC stock injectors (with proper supporting mods of course).

·
So God Made a Farmer..
2,174 Posts
they have much potential...stick around ya might learn a thing or 2. and VE's are the underdog, but have a lot of potential themselves as well.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Non-IC'd injectors are just a tad (.002 iirc) smaller than POD's.

With an HE351CW or S362, a 1/2" fuel line, a good air filter, 4" exhaust, a sturdy fuel pump (I think 2nd Gen lift pump or AirDog), and a good trans/clutch combo will get you there.

If you pull the pump to reseal (very good idea), locktite the front seal. That way, you can push more than 20psi safely without blowing it. However, I have heard they are changing the front seal to have a rubber like knurls to combat that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
they have much potential...stick around ya might learn a thing or 2. and VE's are the underdog, but have a lot of potential themselves as well.
There was a guy on DTR I think, a while ago who dyno`ed something like 375-ish with non-I/C sticks...there is def more power potential there for the taking as opposed to the I/C sticks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts