Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've checked all I can find online and the codes remain. I need my emissions test for registration and check eng light won't go away.
I've replaced the fan and clutch(& radiator) due to fc harness being chopped by the fan, repaired a broken [email protected] wastegate solonoid clip, searched(I think thoroughly) the appropriate harness for chafed wires. I can't figure this out. I think an associated problem may be some heating issues with my cooling and trans. On an avg 70degree day, driving around town, when I first start out, coolant will get up to around 210f, (a/c on or off no diff.) Cool down and sit at normal temp, 200 unless I get on it a little. Transmission temp will just steadily build to around 215 and higher, depending on how many errands I'm running that day. The trans is a 1yr old reman from best buy transmission, self installed. I'm certain I need a flush due to overheating several times(including a peak of 267 degrees f pulling my 5th wheel less than 10 miles and a difficult placement into a sloped driveway) but I don't know if the burnt fluid alone is enough to cause this.
Important Info; I'm not a mechanic, I'm an electrician. Despite my R&R of the trans by myself, outdoors laying in snow and self taught, I wouldn't use the term weekend warrior or grease monkey. I do my own repairs out of necessity, desire for knowledge and self reliance, and a severe lack of trust after crappy, friend-of-a-brother engine rebuild for a spun bearing. I try to do my repairs the right way!
That said, I'm stuck here and I can't just this money at this problem. Maybe I re-wired the fan clutch clip wrong, doubtful but possible due to online diagrams and the lack of reliability for the correct one. Why is it so hard to find info on my truck??? Oh yeah, it's an '07 2500 w/ 5.9 Cummins, 4wd.
Please, if anyone here can help me I would be very grateful! I feel like it's something simple I'm just overlooking. This is my first diesel and I love the reaction of bystanders when I come roaring up, the fact that it's simply a 10k pound race car, and, I need the raw power that I'm supposed to have, to haul my 13k lb + RV to Texas later this year. We are moving there from co and this is holding us back.
Thank you for giving your time if you've made it to this point, full disclosure is key here I think!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in who know more than I but if it was my truck first things I would check would be the wiring to the fan. There are links to the service manuals here in I think the newbies section. If all found to be good there I would check the underside of the radiator cap for oily substance on a cold engine, if none that can somewhat rule out a head gasket problem.
I would take a look again at the transmission fluid, is it red,brown or does it look like coolant has mixed with it? There is a small radiator above the starter that cools the torque converter that sometimes leaks and coolant gets in the transmission and ruins it.I would at least drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and adjust the bands.
When was thermostat replaced or checked last? Doesn't seem to be common but it could be malfunctioning.
Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Larry, the torque converter cooler was not on my radar as a possibility so I will check that. Re: foreign fluids in the trans or radiator, both are fairly new fill ups as I just replaced the radiator, f/c, water pump. Trans was installed by me within last 8 most, still trying to contain persistent leaks from cooling lines (so I've had plenty of up close and personal with the fluid), and, 3wks ago I installed a nice big ATS pan for better cooling(+filter).
This is why I'm at such a loss on the trans overheating. For all purposes, I have upgraded the trans cooling system far beyond factory with still a factory 48re trans. Yet it gets too hot just daily driving. In very frustrated and now I'm hearing "you should sell it, it's holding us back" . Defeat is not in my vocabulary Brother!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts