Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just had my 160 p-pump maxed and balanced at a local shop and they said it was putting out 460cc. The pump also has gov springs, 7mm delivery valves, a rack plug, AFC max travel kit, full starwheel, no fuel plate, modified foot and a 60 torktec OFV. So as far as I know this thing is as cranked as it can get with out changing the pumps internal components and it's going to 5 x 16 injectors and being fed by an Airdog 150 gph with fresh filters. The AFC is slid all the way forward and the pre-boost screw is all the way in with the nut still on.

It is running smoke free except for very heavy throttle conditions and even then not much smoke. I don't really want smoke but I was expecting there to be way too much fuel when I got the pump back and I'm a little surprised that the turbos actually seem like they want more pre-boost.

So the question is, Can I remove the nut on the preboost screw and put some washers on there and run it in further? Is there any risk of damaging the diaphram? Also if I upgrade to the 75 torktec OFV will that help? The wide open power is great but it seems like it wants more fuel off idle.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,321 Posts
The shop maxed and balanced the pump, presumably on a bench, and you want to mess with it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pre-boost is completely tuned by the end user. What does that have to do with anything the shop did?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just putting this out there for future reference. I called the shop and the technician that worked on my pump told me it's fine to go ahead and remove the nut and run it in further. He said it will need to be sealed but it's fine for the diaphragm to have more pressure on it from the pre-boost screw.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I cannot fathom how that set up doesnt smoke much .

I have 1/2 of all that stuff and it smokes horribly

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya man I was shocked too. I was quite worried that smoke control was going to be an issue after cranking it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those turbo's really blast out the air

Reactions: 24hrsparkey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts