Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motor oil in my truck currently has only about 2.5K miles on it and the overhead display is saying an oil change is needed. How does it decide the oil needs changing and is there a way to reset the computer to eliminate the current change oil message? Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
turn key to on(dont start) and then push the fuel pedal to the floor three separate times and then start the truck. It will reset the oil message. Same thing the dealer does.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It says that every 5000 miles. Just turn your key on and mash the gas pedal three times and it will clear it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The motor oil in my truck currently has only about 2.5K miles on it and the overhead display is saying an oil change is needed. How does it decide the oil needs changing and is there a way to reset the computer to eliminate the current change oil message? Thanks.
Some here have said it's just a timer, and there's no brains involved. I've read in other forums that it's an algorithm based on driving style and some other sensors which would make it more trustworthy. I've also read that even though the recommended interval is 7500 miles, the EGR dirtys things up so much that you should probably heed the warning. I don't know.

Mine came on at 2800 miles, and I had it changed. Then it came on again at 4800 miles, and the next day I had the CEL with a p2262. Look at the thread "New Turbo Club".

Reset it by turning on the ignition switch without starting the engine, and then slowly depress and release the pedal all the way to the floor three times within ten seconds. Then turn the ignition off.

People argue that if it were anything but a timer, it would come right back on, but if it considers driving style (idle counters, etc.), then that info won't be available after the reset, so again I don't really know the truth.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the dealer didn't reset it when they changed the oil. I'll try the key and pedal trick to reset it. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts