Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

New to the forum and Ram ownership. Plenty of miles behind a Cummins, but until now they have all been of the 12 liter, 18 wheeled variety....

Anyway, my question: My '03 is not equipped with the overhead console display. Is the wiring present for one on trucks not originally sold with it? Saw this question in the 2nd gen forum, but not here...

Thanks in advance! This looks like a great site!!

Klaus

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can't say no as a fact, but I had an '01 that I added the console with display to it. I bought a cd on ebay of the factory service manual, this was invaluable for the wiring. I bought and added the outside temp sensor. Then I made my own wiring harness and ran the wiring. A truck at an salvage yard donated wiring plugs and pins, it didn't have the display either. Anyway, the wiring wasn't there not only for the overhead display, but not for the fog light either. For the display, you have to run something like 6 to 8 wires, not very difficult, install the ouside temp sensor, and then have a dealer "flash" the truck for all the functions to work right. Without the flash, my DTE, Temp, and Compass were good. But avg mileage was off by 50%. BTW - Anyone looking for a overhead console for a '01? And a note - you must have the power driver's seat for all the functions to work as well, at least for the '01. They used 2 different computers for the cab, and for the display you had to have the high line computer. Trucks with power drivers seat have the high line computer.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
not sure on the ram trucks, but on the jeep kj, the wiring for the light bar / evic / lamp switch is already installed at the factory, but deadheaded behind the a pillar and headliner.

more than likely, the harness is there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts