Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you tow with your 16,000 pound loads, can you guys with automatics pull overdrive, if so something is seriously wrong with my truck...

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
i guess it all depends on what rear end ratio you have and what tire size, ive never pulled 16K with my truck personally but im sure there are guys on here that have and i think with the proper trans upgrades they have no problem given the right circumstances like grade wind etc.
whats ur situation?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i have 265/75/17's, 3:56 gears? i think, and a load of lumber with a quad in the bed and it wont hold lockup it boggs down and shutters then i hit the OD off and it pulls fine

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
If its flat all thje time. I'm in the hills I lock it out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is near stock, minor pump work, and a 100plate, stock turbo. is it because it isnt making enough power or theres just no gearing?

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
what are your trans temperatures first? unless your turing your rpms at about 1500+ your a lil on the low side, bogging down etc. but if it is bogigng down the motor then its not slipping slipping, shuttering isnt good tho. whats your speeds and rpms. whats the grades too?
16K is getting up there tho

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see, i dont think that load weighs 16k, some guys said 6k, id say it may be spinning a little less then 1500? trans temp was normal in OD Off, it was locked up.Im thinking im not running fast enought to keep the turbo spooled, id have to be running like 70mph

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dieselman3500 asked the golden question, is it in the powerband? 3.56 gears are pretty high, I bet you get great fuel mileage when you're unloaded.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You need a set of 3.73 or 4.11 gears. I have the same rear set as you and the sweet spot is up around 1800rpm or so. If I get down to 1500 and come to any hills or in town it is out of OD right away and locked up. I pull about 13K on a regular basis and you do not want to bog the engine down. Bad ju ju, too much strain on the drive train!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dieselman3500 asked the golden question, is it in the powerband? 3.56 gears are pretty high, I bet you get great fuel mileage when you're unloaded.
I only get about 20 on the highway...

You need a set of 3.73 or 4.11 gears. I have the same rear set as you and the sweet spot is up around 1800rpm or so. If I get down to 1500 and come to any hills or in town it is out of OD right away and locked up. I pull about 13K on a regular basis and you do not want to bog the engine down. Bad ju ju, too much strain on the drive train!!
Ok, that makes sense, i guess i will just have to run OD off the whole way there 6hrs, wont hurt anything will it?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Running your rpm's higher won't hurt the engine under 3200rpm. If anything it would help your engine, as the EGT's have a tendency to be higher when the engine is lugged. I have ran my engine down the highway for 8hrs 2000-2500rpm depending on where i was. It never hiccuped, ran hot, or acted like it anything was bothering it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i made it, but the converter is slipping now...:banghead::doh:

·
Mod Maniac
132 Posts
Rut ROH

That is where the shuddering came in:shock:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, itll b ok i guess, its not to bad when im not pullin a trailer

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2001 close to stock with the awful 3.55 rear. I pull 11,000# OK on the flat but any sign of a grade or wind I manual "button" shift OD OFF. Also I don't let the cruse control shift the transmission down to third. I'm a chicken grayhead! PapaTom

Yes, 1500 RPM on the nose seems to work and be a good mix for torke, power and wind resistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts