Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are pictures of my "Overdrive Clutch Piston Retainer" (After Market Sonnax Billet) and the "The Intermediate Shaft" This is the second time this happened.. Obviously my transmission mechanic only replaced the damaged part and did not fix the issue causing the problem.. I decided to do my own Level 5 rebuild and found this "Pictured" damage, burn't clutches and warped steels..

Has anyone seen this type of damage before and have any ideas on what is causing it? I can understand the end being wearing because of an in-proper clearance (thrust washer) issue, but for the outside of the of the piston retainer to get damaged when its bolted in? Its seams that the Intermediate shaft is warped or a bushing/bearing is bad in the overdrive unit.

I haven't opened the Overdrive unit up yet...

Thanks for any help!

Piston Retainer:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can you get some wider shots that show more of these damaged parts? What does the low/reverse drum look like inside? Did it have a metal thrust washer there?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get some wider shots that show more of these damaged parts? What does the low/reverse drum look like inside? Did it have a metal thrust washer there?
I will get some wider shots, then post them to the Photobucket link at the bottom of my original post and take a good look at the low/reverse drum.. I'm starting to think a lube orifice maybe clogged..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thats what I was leaning towards. I got my service manual out last night and started looking at this area in the trans. How long did it last before it did all this? I'm no expert on these transmission. Mr. S.Kondolay is though and he is a great guy to talk to on these things.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never did figure out what caused the OD piston retainer damage.. After tearing everything down I noticed the spacer on the intermediate shaft was damaged from being forced back against the OD gears.

Notice the ring wore about .003, for sure something was jamming it backwards.. End play should have been same from factory cause nothing was changed except the new billet torque converter...

I don't know what the end play was before.. The only thing that changed was installation of a Billet HD RV torque converter, then I went through two OD piston retainers.. I think it was incorrectly bolted up somehow forcing everything backwards into the piston retainer and the OD gears..

This time after rebuilding the tranny myself, I ensured the piston retainer and lube hole on the intermediate shaft was lined up using the smallest spacer available.. I also enlarged the holes by about 30% on the OD piston retainer...

You can see how the two holes line up by placing the retainer into the OD housing and then choosing the best intermediate shaft spacer allowing the holes to line up... You can adjust the end play on the top end with thrust washers later... Lubrication is more important!!!

Still have good clearance from the ring gear anulus housing and the piston retainer..

More Pics if ya want to take a look at my rebuild from the photo bucket link below:

Evolution of 650 HP Dodge Ram Diesel pictures by rlawless1 - Photobucket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.