Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I can use a little help please. I have an 03 qclb, I have had an overcharging issue for as long as I can recall. I have had to replace the batteries several times in the past five years and its getting tiring lol. I mainly only drive this truck in the winter and when I need to haul things so the truck at most has gotten 5000 miles put on it since I have owned it.
My truck constantly shows a voltage of 14.9-15.1. I have replaced the batteries, the alternator and all the battery cables except for the driver side pos, have not gotten around to doing this one yet because it looks like a bit of a pain.
There is a guy on FB that suggested it was the TIPM going bad and suggested I switch over to an external voltage regulator. before I say it and do that, does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to look or ideas on fixing this problem? Someone also suggested that possible the battery temp sensor, but that is reading just fine. I am monitoring my battery voltage through an Edge cts programmer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal ! mine is 14.7 -15.2 in the winter a little less in summer .
shouldn't normal be around 13.6-14.2 range? I don't understand why I keep going through batteries. I broke down and bought two new oem batteries a couple days ago.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I run the same voltage in my 03.

Please explain what is happening to the batteries, why you keep replacing them.

I have issues with batteries but only in the winter, somwthing is drawing them down and they freeze.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run the same voltage in my 03.

Please explain what is happening to the batteries, why you keep replacing them.

I have issues with batteries but only in the winter, somwthing is drawing them down and they freeze.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I keep killing cells in them and eventually the truck no longer starts. I get a wet like appearance on top of the batteries.

·
Trying to learn
5,154 Posts
Mine is also 14.8v-15.1v most of the time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't believe the 03 have a tipm but I could be wrong . Maybe you need to drive the truck more to keep the battery's fresh . My original battery's lasted 10 years the NAPA legends I have now seem to only last 5 -6 years but I'm retired and haven't been driving the truck near as much .

·
Trying to learn
5,154 Posts
That guy on FB knows not what he speaks of.
TIPM doesn't show up till 2006 MY trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts