Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there running a .030 oversized bore? Only reason I'm asking is I have a rod that's starting to knock so I am planning on pulling the motor this winter. Will it make enough of a difference to make it wothwhile? Or am I better off just re-ringing and honing?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do it and tell us so we all know for future reference Haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a big chunk of change to do so I kinda want to have an idea what it is gonna do before I just do it. But it might be a way to squeeze just a little bit more out of a VE motor??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
we have never pushed a motor out .30 but we have done plenty at .20 and it doesnt make a real noticeable difference in power. but if you motor is knocking your probably gonna have to bore it to make it right so you might as well do it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already replaced the flexplate with one from a 6.7 truck, stock ones must not **** 10psi boosted launches lol. Its deffianately a slight rod knock, sounds like #3 or #4. If I remember correctly you can get 30 over pistons from cummins or is 20 the biggest?

·
Sweatin to the oldies
2,211 Posts
I would say pistons 20 over, then maybe over sized rings.

I might bore it out the minimum amount possible. That way, you can drive it another xxxx number of miles and do it again - get much more mileage out of that block.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not to concerned bout the motor going another 250k lol, this truck will probably only see 300 feet of dirt at a time in a couple years. Plus I have a spare motor if I do ever need it but I'd rather save that for a project I started a few years back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.