Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 dodge, that runs hot when I drive it in the hot weather, it runs about 160. What can I do to make it run cooler, in hot weather??

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
160 is not hot by any means! Watch for fluctuation of your temp guage. If it goes hotter and comes down to 160 the thermo is working as it should.

no worries.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a 99 dodge, that runs hot when I drive it in the hot weather, it runs about 160. What can I do to make it run cooler, in hot weather??

160? thats running cool...do u mean 260?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If it is 260, either a failing (stuck closed or partially open) t-stat. If the temp gauge fluctuates and the heater gets cold then hot, got compression leaking into the coolant system. Thats due to a bad head gasket or cracked head. Could also be low on coolant.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I actually meant 240, then only time it gets that hot is when its hot outside, normally it runs about 190 or less, even when I drive for more then 200 miles

·
Registered
992 Posts
Maybe your situation is different but mine was running hot. 220-240 degrees when the weather warmed up. Oil buildup on the backside of the radiator caused my problem. I believe from the breather tube. A quick trip to the car wash and a can of Easy Off oven cleaner (not the non-toxic junk) fixed it up. BTW my truck normally sits around 190-210 degrees, which imho is not overheating. I just clean it when i am washing the truck now, it takes sometime for it to accumulate.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Here is my write up on rtelocation of the Crankcase Vent...
Crankcase Vent

kstinson is right about cleaning the radiator and coolers...

But Typically I see 190-200*F myself. The stock thermostat is a 190*F. This is idea temp...

As for coolant I suggest every 30K or 36 months you should change it out regardless of color or condition. Take a look at my radiator and block it really clean...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty sure this is exactly what my problem is
Maybe your situation is different but mine was running hot. 220-240 degrees when the weather warmed up. Oil buildup on the backside of the radiator caused my problem. I believe from the breather tube. A quick trip to the car wash and a can of Easy Off oven cleaner (not the non-toxic junk) fixed it up. BTW my truck normally sits around 190-210 degrees, which imho is not overheating. I just clean it when i am washing the truck now, it takes sometime for it to accumulate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
also, check you're fan clutch, with the engine off (of course) there should be resistance while trying to turn the fan, if little to no resistance is felt, the fan clutch is bad.

Hope this Helps!:thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts