Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum as I told everyone last night. I appreciate all the threads and great information on this web site , I've learned so much just from reading all the threads regarding the running issues with the 6.7 Cummins. I have read some threads regarding the over head console messages regarding diesel particle filter full, power reduction see dealer , etc
as I said before I just had the DOC and the DPF cleaned and yet here I am reading these stupid messages again on my console, my simple question is do I need to worry about my truck leaving me stranded somewhere because of these messages? The truck runs like a top , I cleaned the EGR valve and it appears to have helped with the running condition of the truck so should I worry about the messages or just ignore them ? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
You can eventually plug your exhaust with soot and cause excessive back pressure and engine damage.
Or you'll have a runaway regen and melt/crack the dpf, eventually having to replace it when the ecm stops trying to regen due to erroneous pressure readings.

Did the messages come back before you cleaned the egr valve or after?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just as a side note it was going into reg like every day I drove it unfortunately my trips were too short to finish the process now it won't go into reg and trying to get the edge cts tuner to do mobil reg but won't.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Find someone with a high level scanner and do a forced stationary regen. They can also reset the system, I know the autel elite and snap on zeus are capable of it. I've used both to do so in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
And if I were you I'd physically verify the egr valve is closed and unplug the >:$; thing and leave it unplugged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a real good cleaning on it so I'll follow your lead and unplug it. I'll talk with the truck repair center that removed the doc and dpf for cleaning , I know they can do a forced regen as they did it once before. Thanks

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I would be spending my money on a tuner and delete pipe long before I would spend it on a new DPF. Do you have emissions testing where you live?

You can also passive regen by just driving on the highway (~45mins of sustained speed on the highway does the trick). If you EGR is function correctly you likely have a bad DPF. Unpluging the EGR valve will give you a check engine light but it will prevent the EGR from functioning and the truck will run just fine. The DPF should burn itself clean with a good long highways drive. Tow something if you got it. If it doesn't, IDK the DPF might be toast.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The key to unplugging it is you need to physically verify the valve is closed. Otherwise, if still open even a little bit it can/will change the calculated air/fuel ratio and create more soot than it's supposed to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for replying to my questions, like many of us this has been a trouble free truck for 6 years and 90k plus miles and now this. It very may very well be ,,because we didn't go racing this season and not spending time on the open road towing the toyhauler maybe was the undoing. I'll follow every ones suggestions and see how it goes. I will not buy a new dpf , I'll opt for the delete and tuner route like many of you have, had I known what I know today 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have spent the money having the doc and dpf cleaned. Kinda thought I'd be home free after that however the stupid egr hung open and that's when a lot bad stuff started happening, ck eng light over head console messg, etc , thank goodness it still runs good. Little down on boost but one message says reduced power mode see dealer. I'll let ya know how it goes, thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Like the dodge owners forum link says, the dpf is usually not the issue.
The dpf is an indicator of another issue that causes the dpf to fill abnormally fast.

In my case it was the egr valve and hopefully yours too. Now that it's unplugged it takes it out of the loop and should allow a regen cycle to start.
If not then you'll need someone with the above listed diagnostic tools to clear the system timers and codes and perform a stationary regen to get you back on the road.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll be taking a highway trip this weekend for passive regen and I'll be checking with repair shop that did do a stationary regen for me once before and I'll see if they can clear some codes and system timers too, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
make sure to check the EGR valve like xcc said. If that thing is sticking then you can resend all you want and it will just clog up again super fast. I would pull the EGR valve off, remove the actuator (electronics), and soak it in purple power for a few hours. The valve should move smoothly with your finger. Its an easy task.

note that you might need new gaskets if you remove it, the linger it been on there they like to stick. If they break up and stick to both parts you'll need new ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the valve off this past weekend and cleaned out , installed new gaskets etc I did unplug the elec connector to it , the trucks runs pretty smooth and I'll be stopping by to have those messages erased .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts